Traveling back to the 1920s

โ€œThe Drowsy Chaperoneโ€ is a musical the California Lutheran University Theatre Arts Department is showcasing April 21-May 1 in the Black Box Theater. The musical opens with a man who appears sad. Listening to a recording and then the cast travels back in time to the 1920s into a funny and dramatic play filled with a lot of big characters and surprises throughout.

The cast of the musical The Drowsy Chaperone performs Toledo Surprise. The cast will be performing the show April 21-May 1. Photo by Amanda Marston - Staff Photographer
    The cast of the musical The Drowsy Chaperone performs Toledo Surprise. The cast will be performing the show April 21-May 1.
    Photo by Amanda Marston – Staff Photographer

โ€œโ€˜The Drowsy Chaperoneโ€™ is a musical within a play that transports audience members to the 1920โ€™s for a melodramatic andย hilarious adventure,โ€ Malissa Marlow, cast member who plays Janet Van De Graaff, said.

Marlow said the main cast includes Kevin Repich as Man in Chair, Leah Dalrymple as the Drowsy Chaperone, Chris Baldwin as Robert Martin, Ryder Christ as George, Michael Berquist as Feldzeig, Allie Leslie as Kitty, Annika Dybevik and Sophia Roberts asย the Gangsters, Andrew Cervantes as Adolfo, Kyle Poppert as Underling, Kaitlin Ruby as Mrs. Tottendale, Mindi Carpenter as Trix, and Marlow is playing Janet Van de Graff.

โ€œThe play takes place in the Man in Chairs apartment to begin but as the musical is introduced, we slowly slip into the world of the 1920s and it comes alive right in his living room,โ€ย Marlow said.

โ€œWeโ€™ve been rehearsing starting with vocal rehearsals since last semester in October and this semester we did all the choreography and blocking,โ€ Marlow said.

Repich, a theatre and communication major, said there are so many layers to the show to really pin down a linear storyline. Part of it starts with the Man in Chair listening to the record, the story is very simple and straightforward, but adding each layer and experiencing them all together makes the show truly great.

โ€œMy role in the play is Man in Chair, I play the record โ€˜The Drowsy Chaperone,โ€™ for the audience and frequently interrupt and pause the record to speak to the audience about my favorite parts of the show and how much it means to me,โ€ Repich said.

Repich said the musical within is a fake 1920โ€™s show with bold characters in hilarious situations.

โ€œYou should buy tickets soon because several shows are already sold out and others are selling fast,โ€ Repich said.ย 

Melissa Marlow plays the lead of Janet Van de Graaff in โ€œThe Drowsy Chaperone.โ€ Photo by Amanda Marston - Staff Photographer
    Melissa Marlow plays the lead of Janet Van de Graaff in โ€œThe Drowsy Chaperone.โ€

โ€œA man, who is feeling a little sad, decides to play one of his records, a recording of a 1928 musical called โ€˜The Drowsy Chaperone,โ€™ to cheer himself up. The musical comes to life in his living room,โ€ Kenneth Gardner, Chairman of Theatre and Director of Drowsy Chaperone said.

The play is 1 hour and 40 minutes with no intermission.

Gardner said there are over 100 students involved in the musicalย  and behind the scenes of the production. They also land an airplane on the stage.

This musical opened April 21 and runs until May 1. More details can be found on the California Lutheran Theatre Arts website, Marlow said.

Gardner said the play is free with a Cal Lutheran ID and $20 for general public. Tickets are available online or call (805) 493-3415.

Jessica Gilbert