Battling Stigma With Good Mental Health

There is a stigma in modern society, and that is one against mental health. When I learned about mental health and mental illness, it was in my own struggles with mental illness over the years.

I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) when I was 14 years old, and Iโ€™ve been taking various medications to keep all of my illnesses in check since then.

It hasnโ€™t been an easy road to get to where I am after seven years, but I think it has taught me a lot about myself and the way these illnesses have affected me.

When I was first diagnosed, I kept the fact that I had depression, anxiety and OCD to myself for fear of being ostracized from my peers because theyโ€™d think I was crazy, or mentally unhinged.

It has really only been recently that Iโ€™ve come to be more comfortable talking about my struggles to people aside from my close friends, family and therapist. I think that acknowledging the fact that I have those illnesses, and have still been able to go through college and succeed, is important to engage in.

I first believed that by talking about my struggles it was a sign of admitting to some sort of weaknesss. But I learned itโ€™s a way of acceptance.

The American Psychological Association stated on their webpage entitled Overcoming Depression, โ€œDepression isnโ€™t a sign of weakness. Itโ€™s not something you can just โ€˜snap out of.โ€™ Itโ€™s an illness that requires professional treatment.โ€

Reading that, it made me realize that having a mental illness wasnโ€™t some fault of my own, it was something I was born with, and something I couldnโ€™t controlโ€”until I started taking medication, which actually helped me feel better.

As the APA also said, โ€œAntidepressant medications can be helpful for reducing depression symptoms in some people, especially in people with severe depression.โ€

In this case, my medications worked for me, but they donโ€™t always work for everyone, which is why the website also went on to say that psychotherapy can also be effective, whether or not itโ€™s in combination with medications.

In my own case, therapy has proven to be incredibly helpful in understanding how I was thinking and feeling, but at first, I didnโ€™t enjoy going to my therapy sessions every week. I felt like I was being forced to go when I believed that I was mentally okay.

In the seven years since Iโ€™ve been in therapy, Iโ€™ve come to love going and talking with my therapist, because Iโ€™ve gained crucial insights into how I think about life and it has given me a place where Iโ€™m comfortable talking openly about whatโ€™s going on in my head.

But I didnโ€™t tell anyone that I was in therapy, at least at first, because I thought theyโ€™d all think that I was crazy, and not someone who could be a friend.

Kerri Lauchner, the director of Health Services, spoke about how therapy has been proven to help people with mental illnesses, and how people arenโ€™t weak for having one.

โ€œI believe therapy can provide a client with tools to help them in the long run,โ€ Lauchner said in an email interview. โ€œSome people would like to just โ€˜pop a pillโ€™ to fix their problems and while medications for mental illnesses can help, I strongly believe therapy needs to occur with mental illness for best treatment.โ€

I agree with Kerri, as I couldnโ€™t have achieved the sense of peace that Iโ€™ve found if I hadnโ€™t been taking medications and talking with my therapist.

I think only one of the two methods would not have helped me as much as the both of them have.

Jamie Bedics, associate professor & director with a master of science in clinical psychology in the graduate school of psychology, wishes people would understand that mental health and mental illness is not a dichotomous idea.

โ€œThereโ€™s not mental health and mental illness,โ€ Faucher said. โ€œIf you think about it on a continuum, dimensionally weโ€™re all on the same dimension and we can struggle in different ways at different points in our lives, and we all have different average levels of where weโ€™re at.โ€

Since Iโ€™ve come to terms with my mental disorders, Iโ€™ve felt more calm and confident with talking about them. Being in therapy and being on medications isnโ€™t something to be ashamed of.

Itโ€™s something to be proud of since it shows Iโ€™ve taken steps to better myself and learn to be happy with the person Iโ€™ve become.

Henry Studebaker