Regals Drop Semi-final Match Against CMS

The Regals traveled to Claremont, California to compete against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference semi-final game Nov. 2 in a rematch of last yearโ€™s semi-final, which the Regals won. This time, however, the Regals fell just short, losing 3-2 in the first overtime period.

The action started early as the Regals jumped out to a 1-0 lead courtesy of junior midfielder Nina Winsick. The Regals played a long throw into the box and Winsick was able to get on the end of it.

โ€œIt was great to get a goal early especially against CMS because we knew that scoring opportunities were going to be rare in such a competitive matchup,โ€ Winsick said.

As the first half carried on, both teams sat back to defend but just as halftime approached the Athenas were able to score and take a 2-1 lead into the half.

Breaking away: Senior defender Julia Kearns moves forward with the ball to position her team for a goal. Photo Credit--Ashleigh Coulter Staff Photographer
    Breaking away: Senior defender Julia Kearns moves forward with the ball to position her team for a goal.
    Photo Credit–Eric Duchanin Staff Photographer

Midway through the second half, sophomore midfielder Sarah Tadeusiak was able to tie it up at 2-2.

โ€œIt was crazy. I didnโ€™t even realize it happened when it didโ€ฆ all my teammates just came around me and it was just a crazy feeling,โ€ Tadeusiak said.

Both teams had a number of chances as the half went on, but neither were able to convert. This meant the game was headed into overtime.

โ€œWe were pretty confident. Weโ€™ve gone into overtime quite a bit, so it wasnโ€™t a new feeling,โ€ Tadeusiak said.

Shortly after the whistle blew to begin the overtime period, the Athenas put one in the back of the net. The golden goal meant the game was over with a score of 3-2, and Claremont was on their way to the SCIAC final Nov. 5 to play No. 4 seeded Chapman.

โ€œWhat Iโ€™ll remember most is how from spring of last year to the new players this year we came together as a team and bought into the culture that we wantedโ€ Head Coach Frank Marino said.

The Regals will be returning nine starters and hope to add to the 12 wins they had this year, Marino said.

โ€œWe are returning so many playersโ€ฆ who understand what it is to be a Regals soccer player and to be a part of our program and that excites me,โ€ Marino said.

The Regals finished No. 3 with a record of 12-5-4 overall and 6-4-4 in SCIAC.

Gabriel Naudin