Aspiring Athletes Should Experience College Life First

For those who are unaware, the National Basketball Association has requirements for basketball players wanting to enter into the NBA draft. Players must be at least 19 years of age or be one year out of high school.

Easy enough, right? Wrong. College players are not only complaining about having to wait a year before being able to enter the draft, but also complaining about not getting paid as college athletes who claim to bring millions of dollars to their respective colleges.

The One-and-Done rule is undervalued. I think that many players are looking for instant gratification and success instead of their futures as a whole.

The Washington Post released an article called “The NCAA Is Really F-ed Up: Ben Simmons Despises The One-and-Done System” and he said that in college, โ€œEverybodyโ€™s making money except the players. Weโ€™re the ones waking up early as hell to be the best teams and do everything they want us to do and then the players get nothing. They say education, but if I am there for a year, I canโ€™t get much education.โ€ Iโ€™m here to play, Iโ€™m not here to go to school.โ€

What I hear is someone who is self-interested and egotistical. Getting an education is something that people should value, not take for granted. There are thousands and thousands of students who have to constantly work hard and study throughout college to be successful. So for someone to take their education so lightly and to go so far as to call the One-and-Done rule โ€œf—-d upโ€ is appalling. These college athletes who are most likely given generous athletic scholarships are basically getting an education, playing a sport they love, getting exposed to real world living, and formulating valuable connections for free. I know a ton of people who would love an opportunity like that.

An ESPN article addressing the โ€œone-and-done conundrumโ€ said, โ€œAthletic scholarships are more than enough compensation for playing a simple game. When you think about what an educationโ€™s true worth (invaluable!), theyโ€™re actually overpaid. And if you consider how tuition costs have been steadily going up over the years, the players are better compensated than theyโ€™ve ever been.โ€

The One-and-Done rule was put into place to ensure that players are equipped with skills they need to be successful in the real world. Players canโ€™t be in the league forever. According to Business Insider the average length of an NBA careerย is about 4.8 years. So what are they going to do after retiring? How can they be functional members of society?

In college, you are exposed to classes that instill life skills, such as money and time managing. These 19-year-olds are entering into the NBA, handling more money than they have ever had in their entire lives. Splurging is tempting.

In an article from Rebound Magazine about the One-and-Done rule, the magazine states, โ€œThe epidemic of professional athletes mismanaging their money is real. Statistics show that 68 percent of NBA players file for bankruptcy within 2-4 years of retirement.โ€

Then these players end up digging themselves into a deep hole filled, with no education and experience to climb out.

Obviously, declaring for the NBA draft is a huge milestone in a personโ€™s life, but there should be more requirements that a player has to fulfill. First of all, these players are student-athletes. They should be attending their classes and making an effort to pass them. If players attend a college with the intent to just play for one year and then declare for the NBA draft, there should be a program that teaches these kids some life skills. The Rebound article said, โ€œEnrollment in a life skills/financial literacy program to help educate these players about the money they have and are earning.โ€

I also think that players should at least maintain a minimum GPA of 1.8, which is the GPA required for playing eligibility.

Lindsay Goldblatt, the Head Coach for womenโ€™s basketball ย at California Lutheran University, said, โ€œEducation will go a long way, even if it is for one year.โ€

It is impossible to prevent players from wanting to rush into the NBA after one college season. A lot of players canโ€™t seem to wait to get a paycheck. But, I believe that going to college, even if it is for one year, is important for a person to develop physically, mentally, and emotionally. Colleges canโ€™t stop players from leaving, but they can hold those athletes to a standard so that when they leave, they are prepared for whatever comes their way.

โ€œIt is good for the players to have a year to grow and mature and go through some life lessons instead of being thrown into the NBA where you are playing against people who have been through it,” Goldblatt said.

Danielle Roumbos
    Featured Writer