BREAKING: Two-car accident sends Cal Lutheran student to hospital

Unknown female Cal Lutheran student, driver of flipped Mazda CX-5, is transferred to an ambulance via stretcher in a neck brace. Photo by Molly Strawn, News Editor
    Unknown female Cal Lutheran student, driver of flipped Mazda CX-5, is transferred to an ambulance via stretcher in a neck brace.
    Photo by Molly Strawn – News Editor

A two-car collision occurred at the intersection of Memorial Parkway and Mountclef Boulevard at California Lutheran University March 7 at approximately 5:40 p.m. This caused one of the vehicles to flip over and roll at least twice before stopping on the side of the road upside down. The driver, an unidentified female Cal Lutheran student, sustained minor injuries.

Witness and first responder Michael Khatchadourian, a first-year student at Cal Lutheran, pulled the commuter student out of her white Mazda CX-5 that had flipped over. He said she was able to stand and talk, and that she only complained of minor cuts to her left arm and a sore neck.

The white Mazda CX-5 flipped after colliding with a Kia Optima.  Photo by Dakota Allen, Staff Writer
    The white Mazda CX-5 flipped after colliding with a Kia Optima.
    Photo by Dakota Allen – Staff Writer

โ€œShe seemed pretty rattled,โ€ Khatchadourian said.

Sophomore Jake Gould was driving the other car involved in the accident, a white Kia Optima. He said he was turning left onto Mountclef Boulevard and did not see the female student traveling south down Mountclef Boulevard and hit her car, causing her to lose control. Gould sustained no injuries.

โ€œAfter a long day, been here since like 5:30 [a.m.] covering the football teamโ€™s spring practiceโ€ฆlooked right and looked left, but as I looked left it was just kind of going through the motionsโ€ฆwasnโ€™t fully aware of my surroundings like youโ€™re supposed to be and unfortunately hit her,โ€ Gould said.

Peter Gessert, who lives in the area, said he was walking his dog with his wife Stacey Gessert when they heard the collision and saw the car flip. He said his wife called 911 and the police arrived within five minutes.

The ambulance arrived approximately five minutes after the police. They placed the driver of the Mazda CX-5 on a stretcher in a neck brace and drove her to the hospital at approximately 6 p.m.

Before police and paramedics arrived, Jake Hitch, a first-yearย at Cal Lutheran, was on his way to Mount Clef Hall with Khatchadourian and had pulled the female commuterโ€™s belongings out of the passenger side of the car including her cell phone, which Stacey Gessert used to call the young womanโ€™s mother, sister and classmate.

โ€œShe had me call her classmate to tell her she wasnโ€™t going to make it to her presentation,โ€ Gessert said.

Gould said he does not know what part of the girlโ€™s car he hit causing it to roll.

The white Mazda CX-5 after it has been righted by tow truck operators. Photo by Dakota Allen, Staff Writer
    The white Mazda CX-5 after it has been righted by tow truck operators.
    Photo by Dakota Allen – Staff Writer

โ€œI hit her and my car didnโ€™t move,โ€ Gould said.

Three Thousand Oaks Police cars, multiple Campus Safety officers and two tow trucks were on the scene as residents of Pederson and Thompson Hall stood in the parking lot watching.

Campus Safety Officer Dan Castellini said the situation is an ongoing investigation being handled by the sheriffโ€™s department and would not release the name of the other student involved in the accident.

An officer from the Ventura County Sheriffโ€™s Department spoken to on the scene also said it was an ongoing investigation and would not release any information.

โ€œIt was just an accident in the intersection,โ€ the officer said.

The scene cleared at 6:48 p.m. and both vehicles were towed away. The Kia Optima had damage to the front of the vehicle, while the Mazda had a fully cracked window shield, crushed roof, dented hood, deployed airbags and other substantial damage.

Dakota Allen