A musical showcase: CalLuPalooza

On Saturday, April 22, the annual CalLuPalooza concert featured California Lutheran University artists at Kingsmen park.

The lineup included Sharp Attack, Michaela Kennedy, Nicole Campbell, Cole Tidus, A.J. Akpodiete, No Suits, Sad Boys, Roemello, Tyler Lucas, Cris Lou and HYPNTC.

A.J. Akpodiete got the crowd invested with his rap performance which ended with freestyle dancing on the stage.

Senior Reed Hallums plays the electric guitar for the first song in the set performed by No Suits called โ€œEscape Reality.โ€

Junior Michaela Kennedy performed three covers and one original song during her set. Her songs included โ€œSugarโ€ by Maren Morris, โ€œPeter Panโ€ by Kelsea Ballerini, โ€œLove on the Brainโ€ by Rihanna and her own song โ€œJust Enough.โ€ Her single โ€œJust Enoughโ€ is her first original song since elementary school.

โ€œI titled the song โ€˜Just Enoughโ€™ because it talks about someone giving you just enough of their attention and love to keep you coming back for more,โ€ Michaela Kennedy said. โ€œBasically, the chase is more of an excitement for both people than actually the substance of the relationship and connection.โ€

Michaela Kennedy plans to release โ€œJust Enoughโ€ on her YouTube channel once sheโ€™s written more and worked on it in the studio.

โ€œI love it so much. Iโ€™ve been singing since I was little. My main focus is school right now so balancing both is what Iโ€™ve been trying to do,โ€ Michaela Kennedy said. โ€œI got back into singing and performing about two months ago so itโ€™s been really fun.โ€

A stand-out performance by the band No Suits had the crowd singing along as they played their new EP โ€œQueenโ€ featuring singer Jackii Kennedy.

During Jackii Kennedyโ€™s performance of โ€œQueensโ€ No Suits member Max Pierro jumped off the stage and crowd surfed. Pierro was returned back to the stage to finish the set.

โ€œI was just feeling the energy of the crowd,โ€ Pierro said. โ€œReed was soloing, the crowd was chanting. You gotta give it up for [the MC] T-low.โ€

Jackii Kennedy sang the single, which will be featured on the bandโ€™s upcoming album.

Michaela Kennedy (L) performs an original song called โ€œJust Enoughโ€ with guitarist William De Leon (R)

Jackii Kennedy met the members of No Suits in Santa Monica and became one of their singers, drummer and Cal Lutheran alumnus Edward Hill said.

The band includes Jackii Kennedy, Hill, sophomore Aubrey Elaine, seniors guitarist Reed Hallums, Pierro on keyboard, Sajan Sanghve on piano and guitar and trumpet player Dan Dwyer.

Dwyerโ€™s trumpet skills were revealed when he played a piece of โ€œMask Offโ€ while the band was warming up. Elaine started off the set with the song โ€œEscape Reality,โ€ which is the bandโ€™s first original song.

โ€œWe were first recording โ€˜Escape Realityโ€™ and we knew that there was something missing,โ€ Pierro said. โ€œWe knew that [Reed] was a badass guitarist and in less than five minutes he riffs the beat melody.โ€

Pierro said that the band practiced very hard all week in anticipation for the concert. He said heโ€™s known band member Sanghve since kindergarten, and theyโ€™ve been making music since high school.

โ€œOne of the first things that Max told me was that we have to be entrepreneurs and never wear suits to work,โ€ Sanghve said. โ€œWe live our lives by the โ€˜No Suitsโ€™ philosophy which is like doing things a little bit different, doing things outside the genre and not conforming.โ€

Hill said that he joined the band two years ago while he was still attending Cal Lutheran for his degrees in communication and music.

Angel Abundez, Rachel Counihan, Nissa Rolf, Rachel Guerrero and Andrew Cervantes sing an a capella version of โ€œDog Days Are Overโ€ by Florence and the Machine to open the performances.

โ€œLast year, we put out our first track. It popped off and in less than a month we had 80,000 plays,โ€ Hill said. โ€œCalLuPalooza was our first live performance and we hope to do more this summer.โ€

The band plans to continue releasing EPs for their album. Their music can be found on Spotify, SoundCloud and Apple music.

Brandy Alonzo-Mayland