Regals Take The Court At Cal Lu Fornia Invitational

Cal Lutheran 3-0 (25-20, 25-13, 25-13) over Santa Cruz

The California Lutheran University womenโ€™s volleyball team kicked off their opening game of the Cal Lu Fornia Invitational against University of California, Santa Cruz. The Regals won in three straight sets.

The first set went point for point until tying it up at 19, then the Regals broke away for a 25-20 set win. senior outside hitter Hope Stewart led the Regals with 17 kills and 10 digs, junior outside hitter Amanda Roberts contributed with 20 digs, and senior setter Jamie Smith had 36 assists.

Cal Lutheran 3-1 (25-12, 25-21, 17-25, 25-22) over Whitworth

The Violet and Gold came out ready to go after having a game break. Roberts led the first set with five kills and four digs. Stewart and Smith added four digs as well to contribute to the 25-12 defeat. After a dominant start for the Regals, Whitworth University fought back, but the Violet and Gold were able to power through and win a close second set.

However, the Pirates were not done fighting, and they managed to control the entire third set, and got the win forcing a fourth set. The final set was point-for-point until the end when Cal Lutheran managed to pull ahead for the win. Stewart led the Regals again with her second double-double of the day, but senior middle blocker Molly Holloway was also clutch in the second match serving up four aces and eight kills.

โ€œI think once we got it together, started getting more excited and doing what we usually do, it just kind of clicked,โ€ said sophomore right-side hitter Amy McKee said.

The Regals split the weekend and will enter conference play wit a 4-5 record. Photo by Saoud Albuainain- Photojournalist
    The Regals split the weekend and will enter conference play with a 4-5 record.
    Photo by Saoud Albuainain- Photojournalist

Pacific Lutheran 3-0 (25-22, 25-21, 25-17) over Cal Lutheran

Pacific Lutheran University came out prepared for a fight against the Regals, and that is exactly what the fans witnessed. The Lutes went ahead 10-4 early, but with a Pacific Lutheran net violation and a service ace from Roberts, the Regals got right back into it. However, their energy serge was not enough, and the Lutes took the first set 25-22. The second set was much of the same with Pacific Lutheran winning 25-21.

The Regals refused to get behind early again forcing a back and forth battle well into the third set, but the Lutes took advantage of some costly mistakes for Cal Lutheran. The Lutes won in three straight sets (25-17). Roberts finished with two aces, five kills and six digs. Holloway added 12 kills, an ace and two digs.

Trinity 3-0 (25-21, 25-16, 25-20) over Cal Lutheran

After watching the Trinity Tigers go all five sets against Whittier College, the Regals were warmed up and ready to hit the ground running from the first serve. The Tigers were fully prepared and kept the score close through most of the first set. With the help of a couple service errors on the Regals, Trinity got their biggest lead of the game (16-10).

The Regals put up a noble fight to get back into it, but the Tigers held them off (25-21). Trinity kept their command through the second set taking the Regals out of their rhythm. The Tigers walked away with the second set 25-16. Cal Lutheran put a new group on the court to start the third set, and they took advantage of their opportunity scoring six of the first eight points. Despite a close fight, the Regals fell short, allowing the Tigers to win in three sets. Roberts led the Regals with 12 kills and 17 digs, and freshman outside hitter Sarah Hein contributed with 15 digs, three kills and a service ace.

โ€œWe talked a lot about playing CLU volleyball, which is a big part of our motto. Thereโ€™s a lot that encompasses it, but the best way to put it is CLU volleyball is playing our game, up to our level, and playing with each other,โ€ Holloway said.

The Regals will travel to La Verne to begin conference play on Friday, Sept. 15 at 7:00 p.m.

Makenna Pellerin