Upward Bound Program Receives $329,274 Grant with Support of Ventura County Rep. Brownley

Congresswoman Julia Brownley announced a $329,274 grant from the Department of Education that will go to California Lutheran Universityโ€™s Upward Bound Math and Science program (UBMS), according to a press release published on Sept. 11, 2017.

Cal Lutheranโ€™s Upward Bound web page says that the UBMS program was started on campus in 1992, and was made to help prepare high school students for their undergraduate education in math and science fields. Furthermore, it says that over 200 students are given support through the UB programs each year.

Brownleyโ€™s Communications Director Samantha Greene relayed Congresswoman Brownleyโ€™s statement in an email interview that said, โ€œThis grant is especially important because it focuses on under-served students. Better enabling low-income and first-generation college students to pursue these critical fields is essential if we want to continue building ladders of opportunity for all to succeed. Increased diversity in the education system means more economic opportunities, reduced inequality, and more shared prosperity.โ€

Brownley is the representative of the 26th Congressional District, which contains much of the Ventura County region and part of Los Angeles. One of her offices also has proximity to Cal Lutheran, as it is located less than five miles away from the school.

โ€œAs California Lutheran Universityโ€™s representative in Congress, I advocate for policies that support college students and ensure that all young people have access to an affordable, high-quality education,โ€ Brownley said.

There are several math and science majors available at Cal Lutheran. This grant would provide resources to help incoming college students learn about these majors and navigate their options.

โ€œThis Upward Bound grant is a math and science specific grant, so a lot of the resources we provide are for careers in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). Whenever possible, we take students to career fairs where itโ€™s showcased,โ€ said Upward Bound Senior Director Sergio Galvez.

In addition to presenting them with career options, Galvez said Upward Bound also helps students apply to colleges and universities.

โ€œThe Upward Bound Math and Science program is really one that changes lives. I can tell you the various required services we do, but what this program does is provide opportunities for a student to participate in a program thatโ€™s going to hold his or her hand through high school college app process, and usually into a four-year university,โ€ Galvez said.

With the money from the grant, more students will be able to receive assistance from Upward Bound.

โ€œWe, as an Upward Bound program, can spend $4,158 per participant, for our budget with what we get awarded on an annual basis. Thatโ€™s enough to provide services for 77 students a year, Galvez said.

Ramiro Medina, a freshman at Cal Lutheran studying computer science, was a part of Upward Bound while attending Pacifica High School. After being exposed to the Cal Lutheran campus through the program, he chose to continue his higher education at the university.

โ€œNot just math and science, but the program overall, opened my doors to more opportunities, because going into my senior year, I had no idea how to apply for colleges or what college would be like, and definitely Upward Bound exposed me to those opportunities…It definitely was a good outlet for college,โ€ Medina said.

Lara Santos