Regals Draw Athenas After Two Overtimes

In a closely contested, back and forth game the California Lutheran University womenโ€™s soccer team tied the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Athenas 1-1, at William Rolland Stadium. The game stretched into two overtimes in which both sides vied to score the decisive goal.

Freshman forward Samantha Cornejo scored the first goal of the game for the Regals at the 25:26 mark of the first half. The Athenas answered to tie the game at the 30:00 mark of the second half when Cal Lutheran had many opportunities to score the go-ahead goal but unfortunately hit the crossbar three different times.

Junior midfielder Sarah Tadeusiak had three shots and one on goal that almost went in during the first overtime. Senior forward Kali Youngdahl recorded three shots with two on goal.

After the game, Youngdahl said, โ€œLast time we played them [Claremont-Mudd-Scripps] we didnโ€™t play well, but coming off the Chapman game and getting our rhythm back, everything we have been practicing, just connecting fast and moving off the ball, I think overall we played well.โ€

Tadeusiak helped to patrol the middle of the field with a number of headers that controlled possession for the Regals. The Regals seemed to have a few more offensive opportunities, as Cal Lutheran finished with seven shots on goal compared to Claremont’s four shots on goal.

โ€œI think we just didnโ€™t get to finish the shots, we hit three crossbars which never happens in a soccer game, so we were just really unlucky, but like Kali said, we came out a lot stronger than we did when we played them the first time this season,โ€ Tadeusiak said.

Freshman Gabby Flores had three saves in goal for the Regals before suffering an injury towards the end of the second half.ย  Sophomore Alysa Frazier took her place and made one save in the two overtime sessions.

Assistant coach Jonathan Decker added that Claremont is one of those teams that you look at on the schedule and you know the game would be difficult.

โ€œI think they do a very good job of pressing and making sure we donโ€™t have time to play and making us have to go long sometimes. Claremont is very disruptive and they transition well,โ€ Decker said.

David Brown