Working in food service

Everyone should work in the food industry at least once in their life. Believe it or not, people could learn many life skills that they can carry throughout life by working in food service. You realize the hard work that goes into getting the perfect bite to eat.

Over summer I worked at a restaurant called Dog House Grill in Fresno, CAย  and I learned many skills and realized how much it takes to work in the food industry.

According to Fresno Countyโ€™s news station, ABC30, Dog House Grill was voted Best Sports Bar in Fresno and is always busy no matter what time of day it is. Working as the cashier, I learned how difficult it can be to take complicated orders. You need to make sure the order is correct and then show good customer service, even when the customers are difficult.

โ€œThere were a couple of times when Iโ€™d have to stand there and listen to someone scream at me because they were over an hour late for their reservation and I gave their table away on a Saturday night. You do it with a smile and you have to think of a solution, even if itโ€™s the last thing you want to do,โ€ said writer for thekitchn.com, Ariel Knuston.

Working in a restaurant I also learned how to be great at multitasking. You also gain more respect for your waiter or waitress. You know that they have a lot on their plate and you know the importance of good tipping.

โ€œBefore I worked here, I didnโ€™t understand the hard work that it takes to give people their food. When it would take a little longer for my food to come out, I would get mad and wonder why they were moving so slow. Now I understand that thereโ€™s so much that goes into making an order and making sure itโ€™s right, especially when the restaurant is busy and the line is out the door,โ€ said waitress at Dog House, Kennedy Uhling.

I believe that everyone should be a part of food service at least once in their life, to learn what goes on behind getting your food.

โ€œWorking in the food service industry can help you build a thick skin that almost no one can break through. And trust me, no matter where you end up later in life, youโ€™re gonna need it,โ€ said Holly Johnson, writer for the website thesimpledollar.com.

Marissa McCardell