Kupa’a Hawaii Club’s hosts Annual Luau event

As senior Bryson Contrades would say, the “Aloha Spirit” was in the air at Kingsmen Park on Thursday, April 12 at the Kupa’a Hawaii Club’s Annual Luau. Contrades is a four-year member and one of the co-presidents of the Hawaii Club.

Contrades said that the purpose of hosting the luau every year is to spread Hawaiian spirit and culture.

“In that one word [aloha] there are so many meanings. I hope that students have a good time and get a glimpse of Hawaiian culture in the smallest sense and what a luau is like,” Contrades said.

Choreography performed by students: Students Jaz Palafox, Anne Mukai and Jacie Fukada perform a traditional Hawaiian dance to “Mele No Lilo.” Photo by Rachel Holroyd- Photojournalist
    Choreography performed by students: Students Jaz Palafox, Anne Mukai and Jacie Fukada perform a traditional Hawaiian dance to “Mele No Lilo.”
    Photo by Rachel Holroyd- Photojournalist

Contrades said a luau is basically a party. In Hawaii, luaus are usually thrown for a baby’s first birthday or a graduation.

In past years, the luau has taken place in Grace Court. This year, Contrades and fellow co-president, Alanna Bauman, decided to move the event to Kingsmen Park.

“We decided to move the event to Kingsmen Park this year because there is more general traffic and even people who are just walking by can see and come join and enjoy the music,” Bauman said.

Bauman and Contrades said they organize this event every year so that students can come and have a great time. At this year’s luau, the festivities included live music, student performances, food, games and raffle prizes.

Contrades said he was especially excited about the music this year because one of his favorite bands, a popular reggae band from Hawaii named Maoli, came to perform. The attendees danced and sang along to their songs. The band stopped one of their songs to exclaim how surprised they were when the students started a choreographed dance to one of their songs.

The hula dance performances were choreographed by some of the Hawaii Club members. The games, raffle prizes and event was hosted by co-president, Bauman.

A raffle prize winner, junior Adriana Bruzzone, said that this was not her first time attending a luau. She said she was very excited when her number was called for the raffle and enjoyed her time at the event. She said the food was great and winning her prize was probably her favorite part.

“I’ve been to a luau in Hawaii, and it was similar to this, except in Hawaii there was a roasted pig, a lot of hula dancers and fire,” Bruzzone said.

Along with Cal Lutheran students, prospective high school students attended, as the event was also part of the InCLUsive Program. The high school students were able to attend the event on the first night of their weekend visit.

Tickets for this event were $5 and the money helped the Hawaii Club host the event, but also helped a Hawaiin community.

“A portion of the ticket sales will be donated to an organization in Hawaii called Family Programs Hawaii,” Bauman explained.

The Family Programs Hawaii organization provides care to children. Their goal is to help children reach their full potential, especially those who may be in foster care.

Luisa Virgen