Student Gov Says Spring Formal A ‘Go’

Associated Students of California Lutheran University Programs Board voted to host a formal dance this semester instead of a carnival.

However, hosting a spring formal this semester is contrary to what was voted on at the Sept. 15 Programs Board meeting.

The carnival, which was originally planned for the night of Oct. 20,ย was canceledย  because of a conflict with the homecoming football game.

The decision to not hold the homecoming carnival in the fall was made by ASCLU Programs Board during the 2018 spring semester in response to Alumni and Family Relations scheduling changes.

Programs Board voted 12-2 with one abstention to host a signature spring carnival this semester instead of a dance, according to the meeting minutes.

โ€œWe [Programs Board] have public comment meetings…Thatโ€™s where a good majority of students really made sure that, not only were their emails being heard, but their voice was being heard,โ€ ASCLU Programs Board Director Heather Wilson-Hooker said. โ€œThat was when students were coming in and explaining why they like spring formal so much and what they would be looking for in a spring formal.โ€

The theme, location and date of the dance are arranged, Wilson-Hooker said. She also said all details will release details across ASCLUGโ€™s social media accounts.

Programs Board Senior Representative Adriana Bruzzone said dances are the most popular events at Cal Lutheran, so ASCLUG is expecting a โ€œnice turnout.โ€ Bruzzone said the students on the formal committee are also excited for students to see the venue.

This year, Wilson-Hooker said her goal is to have a wider variety in the events ASCLUG puts on.

โ€œI think what I was really aiming for, as a directorโ€ฆwas to have quality events. So particularly, I did less eventsโ€ฆThat was mainly so that we werenโ€™t having events that were only $500โ€”I wanted events that were $1500 and above…So I am pushing for that in [spring] formal as well,โ€ Wilson-Hooker said.

ASCLUG hosted a spring formal the past two years. In 2018, the dance was held at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley. In 2017, the location was the Hummingbird Nest Ranch in Simi Valley.

In addition to the spring formal, students will have the opportunity to go on an alternative spring break in Puerto Rico.

The Community Service Centerโ€™s alternative spring break trip will still take place despite not receiving the full funding they requested from ASCLUG.

Despite not receiving the funding they had aimed for, Commmunity Service Coordinator Madeline Liberti said in an email interview that they will subsidize the cost per person as much as possible.

โ€œI am thankful that we were able to keep the costs for the Alternative Breaks this year on par with previous years, but there is always room for improvement to ensure that all students feel that the cost is reasonable for them,โ€ Liberti said. โ€œWe will continue to look into other possible funding opportunities to support our students and hopefully grow the program.โ€

Ten students will be going to Yauco, Puerto Rico in partnership with Habitat for Humanity to repair homes affected by Hurricane Maria.

From Sept. 16 to Oct. 2, 2017, Puerto Rico was hit by the Category 5 storm that counted 3,057 fatalities and left less than 8 percent of roads functional and open, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) website.

The 2018 alternative winter break trip was to Laredo, Texas, to finish building a home for a family of three. In the last alternative spring break, students travelled to Taos, New Mexico to complete a home for a local family of five.

Kayomi Kayoshi