Graham bids adieu to CLU

After two years as the Coordinator of Recreational Sports, Graham Crain will work his last day Sept. 28 at CLU.

Crain will be moving on to Central Christian College located in McPherson, Kan. There he has been hired as a fundraiser and consultant for the rapidly evolving athletic department.

โ€œI am excited about the opportunity. With family changes, cost of living here in southern California, and the fact they offered both my wife and I jobs, I canโ€™t help but be excited,โ€ said Crain.

In his time at California Lutheran University, Graham served as the acting coordinator of everything pertaining to intramural sports and yearly trips. Perhaps most importantly, many students will remember Crain as a mentor and friend.

โ€œIโ€™m definitely going to shed a tear. I donโ€™t feel like Iโ€™m losing a boss. I feel like Iโ€™m losing a brother or a friend,โ€ said junior and third semester intern to Crain, Zach McMillen.

Beginning Sept. 28 McMillen will handle Crainโ€™s recreational trips responsibilities on an interim basis.

โ€œHeโ€™s one of the most approachable, friendly and kindest people Iโ€™ve met. We are all happy for him, but none of us want him to leave,โ€ said junior Jason Kacena, who met Crain on a freshman excursion trip.

The sentiment regarding Crainโ€™s personality and integrity seems to be universal on campus to those who know him.

โ€œHeโ€™s one of the most giving people Iโ€™ve ever met. He is always looking to help people. We are all going to miss him here and wish him the best,โ€ said senior and intern Justin Puccinelli.

Although Crain is excited about the opportunities in front of him, he couldnโ€™t hold back how much he will miss CLU and its faculty, students and staff.

โ€œIโ€™m going to miss the wonderful student body, fabulous staff, the bond I made with students on trips and the family atmosphere here at CLU,โ€ said Crain.

โ€œCLU is a special place. They have been great to me, have treated both my wife and I well. Weโ€™re going to genuinely miss it, but it is time to move on,โ€ said Crain.

Will Reeve
    Published Sept. 26, 2012