Creating Public Policy 101: Boot Camp Aims to Engage Future Leaders

California Lutheran University will introduce a free two-day summer boot camp for students interested in public policy May 20-21. The boot camp will give students a chance to expand their skills in policy analysis, policy-making and writing.

Sabith Khan, assistant professor in the School of Mangement and creator of the boot camp, said this program aims to expose young students to public policy and the processes behind it.

โ€œThe idea is to give high-level exposure to students so they can either pursue this later on, or perhaps take a course and come to a better understanding of policy making,โ€ Khan said.

The boot camp is open to juniors, seniors and graduate students. Khan is still accepting applications and requires a 500-word essay on a public policy issue facing either California or the United States. Students interested in attending should also submit a resume. Khan said ideal candidates for the program are any students interested in public policy issues.

It will be held at Cal Lutheranโ€™s main campus from 9 a.m. โ€“ 1 p.m. The program is also opened to students from Moorpark College and California State University Channel Islands. The summer boot camp will include guest speakers, lunch and interactive sessions.

Khanโ€™s idea to design a public policy boot camp at Cal Lutheran was influenced by his involvement in public administration in Cal Lutheranโ€™s Master of Public Policy and Administration program.

โ€œStudents may not be aware of the full implications of how these processes work out,โ€ Khan said. โ€œBut itโ€™s a good way for students to engage with these issues and learn about something new.โ€

Graduate student Josiah Gonzales has been collaborating with Khan through outreach with other faculty on campus and at colleges such as Moorpark in an effort to bring more awareness to the boot camp.

โ€œItโ€™s important to have a program like this because policy affects everybody,โ€ Gonzales said.

Khan said the biggest challenge he has faced throughout this process has been โ€œgetting the word out.

Malcolm Oliver, director of the Master in Public Policy and Administration, said he is in โ€œfull supportโ€ of the program.

โ€œItโ€™s all about getting students interested in serving the greater good or the public but also learning how they can take these theoretical models that we cover in the classroom and apply them practically,โ€ Oliver said.

Yolanda Arciniega