LGBTQ history month events aim to ‘build a network of allies across campus’

Christer Schmidt, Reporter

Oct. 1 marked the start of LGBTQ history month, which was founded in 1994. This year, Izzy Ortiz, coordinator for Cultural Engagement and Inclusion at California Lutheran University, has prepared a number of educational workshops and events to honor and celebrate the LGBTQ community at Cal Lutheran.

The festivities begin with Gender and Sexuality week,ย Oct. 19-23.

The week features several events including a Safe Zone Training on Oct. 19, curated boxes of LGBTQ-themed goodies on Oct. 21, and different LGBTQ individuals who will be highlighted on the Student Life Instagram page throughout the week.

โ€œThis is something new thatโ€™s happening at Cal Lutheran,โ€ Ortiz said in a phone interview. โ€œI really wanted to make sure I highlighted certain LGBTQ identity groups, specifically trans individuals, and people of color who are also queer.โ€

Safe Zone training

The Safe Zone training is now fully booked. This event is “for students, faculty, and staff to establish a foundation in LGBTQ terminology and what it means to be an active ally,” according to the Hub.

Beth Turner, director of Counseling and Psychological Services, will be facilitating the program.

โ€œOur hope is to build a network of allies across campus, who can create and offer supportive and affirming spaces for underserved, underrepresented students,โ€ Turner said in an email interview.

Curated boxes

On Wednesday, Oct. 21, the first 30 students to sign up for curated boxes will receive items such as an LGBTQ flag, various stickers with different identities’ flags on them and pronoun pins.

The link to request a box will drop at 12 p.m. on The Hub.

Upcoming events

The Student Life Instagram account will feature important historic LGBTQ figures throughout the week.

Playlist in the Parkย on Oct. 27 will be a socially-distanced event in Kingsmen Park featuring various influential LGBTQ musicians.ย 

On Nov. 10, the CCEI will put up a vigil around campus to recognize and pay respect to trans individuals that have been murdered this year, according to the event page.

The vigil will remain until Trans Day of Remembrance on Nov. 20 when Ortizย will host a workshop to educate people about the issues facing trans people today.

โ€œWeโ€™ll talk about the trans community…the many identities that fall under the trans umbrella,โ€ Ortiz said. โ€œ[The workshop is] shedding light on what the community is going through at the moment and the climate weโ€™re in today.โ€