International Film Series kicks off with French film ‘Magnetic’

Magally Lopez, El Eco Editor

California Lutheran University’s Center for Global Engagement (CGE) will be showing the French documentary, Magnetic (2018), Oct. 22 from 7-9 p.m.

“When you will watch the documentary, you will see the landscapes and they’re just so magnificent, and especially right now in a time where nobody can travel, it was a good reminder of what’s out there in the world,” Lara Raynaud, assistant director of the CGE said in a Zoom interview. 

The event is part of a new initiative to help build community and give students an international experience from the comfort of their homes, Raynaud said.

According to the CGE’s website, Magnetic will be shown via the Google extension of Netflix Party. Students must register on the Hub and will need their own Netflix account to join the watch party. .

Raynaud said the movie is a light documentary with nothing dramatic or political. It’s about extreme sports around the world, and is something can be watched at the end of a stressful day.

Raynaud doesn’t have any specific expectations for the turnout and hopes if people don’t show up to this one, hopefully they can get involved in future CGE events.

Students should be involved in global perspectives because of Cal Lutheran’s vision and mission, Raynaud said.

“When you become a CLU student, you sign up on the vision and mission of the University,” Raynaud said. “Which is, you agree to live with purpose, you agree to be, learn how to be open minded about ideals, about people, about faith, to seek, to grow as in individuals in and out of the classroom.”

Raynaud said students need to be open-minded because they will encounter different perspectives both globally and locally.

Having a global perspective is important to be able to “reflect on yourself,” Raynaud said.

“It doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to go abroad to do that, but it’s having the curiosity to understand the differences with other people, so get out of your comfort zone and talk to people who are different than you.”