ASCLUG senator proposes library open one hour earlier

There is talk on campus of the library extending hours of operation an hour earlier in the mornings opening, at 7:15 a.m. instead of at 8:15 a.m., to accommodate students with 7:45 a.m. classes.

This proposed change is still in its early stage. Ronald Burton, transfer representative for ASCLU senate, proposed this idea during one of the senateโ€™s weekly meetings.

According to ASCLU senate Director Andre Andoyan, during these meetings they brainstorm and propose various projects that reflect the needs of the students on CLUโ€™s campus.

โ€œThe way it works is that somebody says, โ€˜You know I think there are some student concerns,โ€™ then they go and pursue them,โ€ said Andoyan.

A senate representative then proposes that project idea, makes it into a bill and pursues the project.

Then is voted upon.

Andoyan explained that opening at 7:15 a.m. allows students with 7:45 a.m. classes a 30-minute buffer to go to the library and print what they need before class.

Junior and commuter Matt Gomez believes the idea of opening the library an hour earlier would be beneficial to students like himself.

Though he would like to have the option, he expressed that he could take or leave the possible change.

โ€œIf I had something to do at that time and I wasnโ€™t willing to go all the way back to my place, I would just go to the library and save some time,โ€ said Gomez.

Junior Andrew Quan has a 7:45 a.m. class.

Quan felt the change in schedule would be helpful, especially for times when he runs out of ink.

โ€œItโ€™s also a lot cheaper to print at the library because they give free $100 of printing money,โ€ said Quan.

Though both Gomez and Quan could see the advantages of opening the library an hour earlier, they saw one drawback.

โ€œIf I worked in the library that would suck,โ€ said Gomez.

Public Services Coordinator Jennette Bristol works as a supervisor in the library. Bristol said in an email that opening earlier would create one more job for one or two student assistants to help set things up in the morning.

It could benefit students who come to campus earlier, but Bristol said that few students currently come to the library when it opens at 8:15 a.m.

Bristol said she would have to come in earlier as well.

โ€œIt would be a hardship, but having me come in an hour earlier would be the most likely scenario,โ€ said Bristol.

Amanda Namba, senior coordinator for Student Involvement & Wellness Programs, addressed the issue in an email.

โ€œUnfortunately, ASCLU does not have any voting power over the library. We currently have a senator working with the library to extend hours, but ultimately, it will be the libraryโ€™s decision to do so,โ€ said Namba.

This change has not been implemented. All students have the option of printing at the Ahmanson Science Center, which acts as the interim Student Union Building until the new dining commons is complete.

Elessandria Smith
Published Oct. 24, 2012