Breaking down the NBA power rankings

The first week of this NBA season may have raised more questions for fantasy owners and fans than it answered. With the preseason-favorite Lakers playing like the Charlotte Bobcats early on, and teams like the Los Angeles Clippers and Brooklyn Nets cracking the top 10 in ESPN power rankings, this should be an interesting year.

1ย ย  ย Heat
Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis are nice perimeter additions to support the oft-injured Mike Miller. With the added depth, look for the Heat to be at or near the top of power rankings all year.

2ย ย  ย Thunder
The loss of James Harden hurt, but the Thunder were able to pick up a proven scorer in Kevin Martin, a young talented shooting guard in Jeremy Lamb and two first-round picks in return. With the rest of the core intact long term, the Thunder should be the favorite out West for years to come.

3ย ย  ย Celtics
Boston did a great job at filling out their bench in the off-season and only missed the finals by one game last year. They remain the Heatโ€™s main competition in the East.

4ย ย  ย Spurs
The Spurs will play the same style of ball they always have. From a scheme and match-up standpoint, the Spurs still may pose the toughest challenge for the Thunder.

5ย ย  ย Pacers
The Pacers are very well coached and extremely confident.ย  They possess one of the deepest benches in the East. This is going to be a breakout year for the Pacers.

6ย ย  ย Clippers
The Clippers boast the deepest bench in the league. If their stars remain healthy, this team has a chance to be not only the best team in Los Angeles, but also one of the best in the West for many years to come.

7ย ย  ย Lakers
Head coach Mike Brownโ€™s Princeton offense is a terrible fit for this group of veterans led by Steve Nash.
That said, itโ€™s hard to rank the Lakers any lower given their embarrassment of riches.

8ย ย  ย 76ers
Loaded with perimeter weapons and a budding, young point guard Jrue Holiday, and now anchored by the polarizing talent of Andrew Bynum, the 76ers will be competitors this year.

9ย ย  ย Grizzlies
The ultimate sleeper in the West, the Grizzlies look ready to make noise in the playoffs and compete with the big boys.

10ย ย  ย Nets
If the Nets can remain healthy, they should celebrate their inaugural season in Brooklyn with a playoff berth.

11ย ย  ย Knicks
The Knicks will continue to improve under coach Mike Woodson during this make-or-break year for Carmelo Anthony.

12ย ย  ย Nuggets
Both Danilo Gallinari and Andre Iguodala may have career years for head coach George Karl.

13ย ย  ย Mavericks
If Chris Kaman and Dirk Nowitzki can get and remain healthy, the Mavericks can still compete at a high level.

14ย ย  ย Bulls
With Derrick Roseโ€™s return to the court uncertain this year, the Bulls are unlikely to finish much better than fifth in the East.

15ย ย  ย Jazz
One of the most fundamentally sound teams in the league, the Jazz should continue to make strides in a positive direction.

Will Reeve is a columnist for the Echo and writes weekly columns about the landscape of professional sports.

Will Reeve
Published Nov. 7, 2012