Bringing cultures together

There are 504 international students at CLU.

During International Education Week, CLU does its best to make international students feel more at home and encourage American students to expand their knowledge of cultures abroad.

The week-long event is organized by United Students of the World and International Student Services.

Linda Boberg, coordinator for International Student Services and adviser to the United Students of the World club, said that International Education Week is happening on college campuses across the nation.

The week will feature lots of โ€œflags and food,โ€ she said.

Flags representing the countries of every international student at CLU will be displayed by the flagpole, said Boberg.

On Wednesday, Nov. 14, the flags will be moved to the University Plaza for World Fair.

The World Fair begins at 5 p.m. on Wednesday and ends at 8 p.m. and will be held inย  the University Plaza, located across Olsen Road, in between the Gilbert Sport and Fitness Center and William Rolland Stadium.

The World Fair will have Saudi Arabian, Chinese, Indian and Italian food.

There will be a variety of performances to celebrate many cultures.

According to United Students of the World member Ellie Jiang, for the first time, all of the World Fair performances will be by CLU students.ย  In the past off-campus groups provided entertainment at the World Fair.

Attendees of the World Fair can expect to see around 12 performances, ranging from dance routines to French songs, Chinese and Hawaiian traditional performances and a performance of rap music, said Jiang.

Performances will begin at 5:30 p.m.

This year, the information tables will be set up in a formation that reflects the geography of the globe.

The tables will be run by clubs including the French Club, Club Italia and the Black Student Union.ย  Some tables will also be run by students from the English Learning School, according to Jiang.

โ€œItโ€™s important to be aware that there are other people in the world besides Americans,โ€ said Boberg. โ€œWe have close to 50 countries being represented here at CLU, and itโ€™s important to acknowledge them with a week where we say, โ€˜thank you for coming. We appreciate everything you give to the campus.โ€™โ€

JC Guan, an international student, values the concept of International Education Week.

โ€œEvery American CLU student must have had an experience with an international student,โ€ said Guan.ย  โ€œThis week is a gesture from the international student community to welcome all American students to learn and appreciate more about the cultures of the international students.โ€

Jiang also welcomes the opportunity to educate other students.

โ€œWorld Fair is the time to create more opportunities for everyone to talk to someone from a different culture and learn from it,โ€ said Jiang.ย  โ€œThis kind of event brings international students and American students together.โ€

Kaitlyn Guilbeaux
    Published Nov. 14, 2012