CLU’s first employee will be remembered always

Through the years: Left, Beyer at her desk while working at CLU. Right, Beyer when she received her honorary degree from CLU.
    Photos courtesy of Karin Grennan

As past CLU presidents, family, friends and colleagues filled Holy Trinity Lutheran Church on Friday, Nov. 30, one thing was evident: California Lutheran University had lost its “First Lady.”  Ethel Beyer, CLU’s first employee, passed away on  Wednesday, Nov. 14 at the age of 104. However, her legacy at CLU will live forever.

“Into her hundreds, she remained strong, independent, sharp and always concerned with the school she loved, Cal Lutheran. That sort of loyalty is all too rare, but it was ever-present with Ethel. She will be missed by everyone she touched,” said CLU President Chris Kimball.

Beyer was the first employee hired by President Orville Dahl of the then California Lutheran College in 1957. She worked until her retirement in 1997 at the age of 88.

Throughout her years at CLU, Beyer worked in many offices and departments around campus including the President’s Office, the Grants and Scholarship Department, the Business Office and the Faculty Office.  Although her work in all of these capacities was superb, it was her personal characteristics and charm that made her so special.

Longtime friend Carol Demars shared a glimpse of Beyer’s work ethic while at CLU.

“There were no phone connections at the time and as the secretary, Ethel wore tennis shoes to work because she literally ran, while ‘running errands,’” said Demars.

Former CLU professor Ernst Tonsing agreed.

“Ethel’s first office at Cal Lu was the dining room in the Pederson Ranch house,” he said. “The only phone on campus was in Ethel’s office so she wore out some shoes going back and forth to Dr. Dahl’s office located in the ranch’s hen house.”

Beyer’s commitment and love for CLU will continue in many ways.  She typed the words to the alma mater and she established a music scholarship for upper division music majors with an interest in keyboarding.

She also financially supported CLU’s 50th anniversary celebration titled “CLU Turns 50” and left her entire estate to CLU in support of building a new performing arts center.

“Ethel Beyer was a plucky lady who loved her church and California Lutheran University. She was a loyal friend,” said Luther Luedtke, former president of CLU.  “Ethel gave unselfishly but only when she knew her resources were well received and well spent.”

People’s eyes lit up when they were asked to share a favorite story or memory of Beyer.

“Ethel always looked like it was Easter Sunday, tastefully dressed and bejeweled,” said Luedtke. “Her longtime friend Fred Bowman once told my spouse Carol that Ethel liked to be seen in his open convertible, but she made him drive slow so her hair wouldn’t blow.”

Tonsing recalled the time he took Beyer out to lunch in 2010.

“When I picked her up at her condo, I asked her what her favorite restaurant in Camarillo was.  I was rather astonished, but took her there for lunch anyway — McDonalds,” said Tonsing. “We sat there on the hard, plastic chairs munching on cheeseburgers while she exclaimed over and over, ‘Isn’t this good?’”

Beyer received an honorary degree from CLU in 1997.  An honorary degree is given to an individual who has provided outstanding service to CLU and whose personal achievement has brought honor or distinction to the university.

“Having been long retired by the time I arrived at CLU, Ethel stands out for me in terms of her energy, astuteness and absolute commitment to Cal Lutheran,” said Kimball.

Beyer will be missed, but her memory and legacy will remain always.

Matt O’Brien
    Published Dec. 5, 2012