First road game a success

The CLU Regals basketball team hit the road for their first away game of their SCIAC season against the Pomona-Pitzer Sagehens. The Regals crushed the competition by taking away a 19-point victory over the Sagehens, 67-48.

Their record has improved to 6-1 overall and 2-0 in SCIAC, making this a great start to their season.

Senior forward Channing Fleischmann was the top scorer of the night, leading the team with 17 points, including four-for-four from 3-point range.

โ€œIt felt good to get our first road game win. Winning on the road is always important and this being our first game away it was important to get the win,โ€ said Fleischmann.

It took the Regals some time to adjust to the Sagehens zone, but once they caught on they were unstoppable.ย  Seven of the 10 on the roster scored points.ย  Three of them finished with double-digit points.

โ€œThe overall feeling was a sense of urgency. It took us a while to get an offensive flow against their unusual zone, but once we started playing our offense everyone was able to contribute,โ€ said Fleischmann.

Senior forward Starla Wright scored 12 total points and senior forward Rachel Heagy added 10.

It wasnโ€™t until the second half that senior forward Taylor Autry was able to come off the bench and make an impact in the game.

โ€œMy favorite shot would have to be Taylorโ€™s three point and one play,โ€ said Fleischmann.

โ€œShe deserved a big moment like that. She came off the bench and gave us that last spark to get through the rest of the game.โ€

Autry scored five points against the Sagehens.

โ€œThe overall feeling on the court was intensity and focus. It took us a while to get there, but when we did, we couldnโ€™t be stopped,โ€ said Autry.

Throughout the entire game, the Regals were able to capitalize on their offense and score during every opportunity they had.

โ€œMy favorite play of the game was when we went on a fast break and didnโ€™t dribble the ball once, but got it to every player to score. It really set the tone for the game,โ€ said Autry.

Senior guard Erica Whitley led the team in rebounds with eight, and senior guard Alex Nelson led the team in assists with eight.

For the Pomona-Pitzer Sagehens, freshman forward Jenn Okonkwo scored 15 points, and freshman forward Ammelia Hummel had nine rebounds.

The Regals will be at home Sunday as they take on Buena Vista University at 6 p.m. in the Gilbert Sports Arena.

Brina Clark
    Published Dec. 12, 2012