Even Adam Levine is a let-down when fans expect too much

Everyone has a favorite celebrity or two. Sitting tight at the top of my list is Maroon 5 frontman, Adam Levine. You can only imagine my excitement when I found out the NBC singing competition “The Voice” was to be filmed in Los Angeles with Levine as a celebrity coach.

I don’t know whether to be proud or ashamed that I have been to seven tapings since the show began last year.

During the first taping I attended on St. Patrick’s Day 2011, I wore a Maroon 5 T-shirt and requested tickets only because I knew Levine was going to be there.

The venue was smaller at the time and the coaches were much more inclined to interact with fans because the show was in its infancy.

Levine gave me two thumbs up on my wardrobe choice, had a brief laugh with one of my friends and signed CDs for other fans. The ticket company even gave us complimentary gas money. The only problem was, like most life experiences, my expectations grew after the first time.

During the third taping I attended, my group waited in line for about two hours only to be seated between a 50-something chatterbox who thought she was 19 and a couple with no shame when it came to PDA.

We were stuck there for at least six hours without food, drinks or phones, and with limited restroom breaks and no gas money. I don’t remember one positive thing from that trip.

“Adam Levine could have kissed me that day and I’d say ‘I’m never going back,’” said junior Jordyn Niblack. “Not worth it.”

What I’ve learned is the person with the least celebrity attachment usually has the most fun. They walk into the experience not expecting anything so they are entertained by the performers rather than preoccupied by the famous faces.

“My favorite part is being able to experience it live because you get to see what goes into what we see on TV,” said senior Ana Gil. “I’ve gotten to see really good performances…but I don’t fan-girl over anyone.”

To enter with expectations is to leave with disappointment saying, “I can’t believe I waited in line for two hours and (insert celebrity name here) didn’t even look at me.”

And it’s not the celebrity’s fault. There are a lucky few that get to interact with the coaches, but as an audience member, you can’t go into the experience expecting them to notice you in a crowd of 500 other screaming attention-seekers.

“There is so much anticipation to see [the celebrities],” said junior Destiny Dulaney. “Yeah, it’s really fun, but there’s no need to idolize them just because we listen to their music.”

If you go to show tapings or concerts for the entertainment rather than for celebrity sight seeing, you’ll have a much better experience.  Celebrities should be supported for their talent, but not looked to as almighty gods.

The next time you find yourself admiring celebrities, remember: They are just like us, only richer, better looking and more talented.

Melina Esparza
    Photo Editor
    Published Dec. 12, 2012