Students come together to help victims of Sandy

CLU students have made extra efforts to lend a helping hand to the victims of Hurricane Sandy by putting together fundraising events such as Hit the Lights and a poker night. The events were planned by different groups but had one common goal in mind.

This year Hit the Lights turned from its original school dance format into a musical concert in Overton Hall. It featured performances by CLU students including Rafe Padilla, Nolan Forghani, Nicho DellaValle, Abby and Will Sturgeon, Lacie Goff, Abhi Sridharan Vaidehi and Peter James.

โ€œOriginally this event is supposed to be a sustainability event, but after Hurricane Sandy occurred we decided to sell glow-in-the-dark T-shirts for $2,โ€ said Vim Iglesia, chair of the Eevolution committee, one of the programs boardโ€™s committees. โ€œThere is a theme of donating money to groups in need with music and the idea here was to feature students from each year and showcase their talents.โ€

Hit the Lights raised a total of $150. All of the proceeds from the night went to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America to help make a difference for the disaster relief of Hurricane Sandy.

At poker night held on Monday, Dec. 10, in the Roth Nelson Room, students, staff, faculty, friends and family participated in a poker tournament while enjoying snacks, music and prizes.

Senior Keenan Woods came up with the idea to put on a poker night after his sociology class posed the challenge of tackling a social issue. He decided to turn this event into a fundraiser. The poker night was put on by CLU resident assistants in collaboration with sociology students and peer advisers.

โ€œOriginally we were just going to set up a table, but we didnโ€™t think that a table would raise that much money,โ€ said Woods. โ€œWe finally decided on a poker night, which would be a fun way for people to come together and raise money.โ€

In order to participate in the poker tournament there was a $5 buy-in to play a Texas Holdโ€™em tournament. Prizes were given out to the winners at the end of the night.

Prior to the poker night, resident assistants set up a table to publicize the event and gave out tickets giving recipients automatic access to playing money without having to buy in to the tournament.

Senior Robert Springer, one of the resident assistants in charge of the poker night, expressed high hopes for the event.

โ€œWe have already made $45 and our goal is to make $100 to donate to AmeriCares,โ€ said Springer. โ€œWeโ€™re hoping to have at least twenty to thirty people come.โ€

All of the proceeds are going to AmeriCares, which is a disaster relief and humanitarian aid organization that provides medical supplies to victims of Hurricane Sandy.

Kristin Cameron
    Published Dec. 12, 2012