‘An inspiration to everyone’: Andreas Nybo named SCIAC Athlete of the Week

Youssef Aldossary, Reporter

California Lutheran University swimmer Andreas Nybo has earned Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC) Athlete of the Week honor. He has been named as the menโ€™s swimmer of the week and got selected for the fourth time in his career.

โ€œIt definitely feels cool to get it for the fourth time. I hope this helps to motivate my teammates as they all have the potential to be swimmer of the week,โ€ Nybo said.

Nybo said that he is super excited to be competing as a super senior and continuing to pursue new accomplishments.

โ€œAs happy as I am to be going fast, there is still a long way to go to finish the season where I want to,โ€ Nybo said.

Nybo is from Portola Valley, California. During his free time he loves to draw and is interested in graphic design.

โ€œI really enjoy getting the chance to be creative and relax a bit doing something I really like,โ€ Nybo said.

For Nybo it is just the start of his journey. He considers swimming as a long term sport as almost all of his goals are focused on the end of the season.

โ€œMy goal is to make some waves throughout our conference and DIII hopefully setting a SCIAC record and challenging a DIII National record,โ€ Nybo said.

Nyboโ€™s teammate, Umberto Moreno Garcia said that Nybo is doing phenomenal this season.

โ€œHe puts in a tremendous amount of work in the pool, weight room, and classroom which goes to show the level of dedication he has,โ€ Garcia said.

Garcia feels that Nyboโ€™s nomination several times throughout his career is significant every time as it shows how talented and committed he is to being the best student-athlete he can be.

Nyboโ€™s work ethic inspires everyone on the team and they all look to him to lead their team to a great season.

Barry Schreifels, the head coach of Cal Lutheranโ€™s swim and dive team, said in an interviewย  that Nybo is a fantastic swimmer and one of the best performers in the history of Cal Lutheran. He is always prepared and helps people in learning different techniques.

Schreifels appreciates Nybo for being a graduate athlete which is a special thing in college athletics. Nybo possesses great leadership skills as he is one of the captains and lead the team really well.

โ€œHe leads by example and works very hard,โ€ Schreifels said.

ย Schreifels shared how much it means to coach Nybo and how he impacts the team.

โ€œIt is a pleasure to work with him. He is an inspiration to everyone and is a fantastic person,โ€ Schreifels said.