Junior Max Heverly is having a great start to his first season

Max+Heverly+has+three+walk-off+hits+so+far+this+year.+

Photo by Madison Kosar - Reporter

Max Heverly has three walk-off hits so far this year.

Madison Kosar, Reporter

Junior outfielder Max Heverly is currently playing his first season at California Lutheran University and already has a total of 20 runs batted in and one home run for this seasons baseball team.

Heverly grew up in Pleasanton, California and has been playing baseball since he was four years old.

โ€œFor as long as I can remember, Iโ€™ve been playing baseball,โ€ Heverly said.ย 

Heverly said his dad encouraged him to try a variety of sports, not just baseball.ย 

โ€œHe actually always wanted me to play football, and I was better at football, but I liked baseball more,โ€ Heverly said.ย 

Before transferring to Cal Lutheran, he played baseball for all four years of his high school career in the East Bay Athletic League for Amador Valley High School.

After graduating from high school, Heverly attended Ohlone Community College and played for their baseball team during his time there. He transferred to Cal Lutheran at the start of the 2021-2022 school year. Heverly said that he decided to come to Cal Lutheran because he liked the location and after speaking with the baseball coaches, he thought it would be a good fit.ย 

Heverly said that switching universities was an easy transition for him because the coaches had similar teaching styles.

This is Heverlyโ€™s first season playing for Cal Lutheran and he said that this season has been a good one so far.

โ€œThere’s always little things that we can work on but as a whole, we are where we want to be and will do the best that we can to succeed,โ€ Heverly said.ย 

Later on in the season, Heverly said he is looking forward to playing in the conference and hopefully bringing home a win for Cal Lutheran.ย 

โ€œWinning the conference, thatโ€™s the main goal right now. But also being the team that everyone fears and is scared to play us, that’s kinda the goal,โ€ Heverly said.ย 

Junior second baseman Kyle Reuser has been playing baseball with Heverly since the beginning of this season but has been playing for Cal Lutheran for the past three years.ย 

When asked to describe Heverly as a teammate, Reuser said that Heverly is a leader.ย 

โ€œIt’s always kind of hard to gain the respect of the guys that have been here for a couple of years but he did a good job at coming in and kind of leading the outfield to where they’re at now,โ€ Reuser said.

Reuser said that his favorite moments with Heverly have been any of the three walk offs Heverly has made this season.ย 

โ€œHe’s had three walk offs already and we’re not even halfway through the season yet which is basically unheard of,โ€ Reuser said.

Reuser said that similar to Heverly, he is looking forward to the rest of the season and hopes they can keep winning games.

Head Coach for Cal Lutheranโ€™s Baseball team Marty Slimak said Heverlyโ€™s work ethic is what they expect from their players.ย 

โ€œHe has only been here for one season and has already impressed teammates and coaches with his ability and character,โ€ Slimak said.ย 

As a teammate, Slimak said he is well liked by the team.

โ€œMax is always encouraging and helping others,โ€ Slimak said in an email interview.

If you want to attend the next Cal Lutheran baseball game, it is scheduled for Friday, April 1. Cal Lutheran will be playing against the Pomona-Pitzer at 3 p.m.ย