Lexi Rond sets the record for the most goals scored in CLU women’s water polo history

Matthew Shaugabay, Reporter

Lexi Rond, senior at California Lutheran University is the two-meter offense player on the Regals water polo team.ย 

Rond has been playing water polo since she was eight years old and is originally from Ventura. She has two siblings, a younger brother and a younger sister.

Before her time at Cal Lutheran she spent a semester at both Santa Barbara City College and Ventura College, but she always knew that she wanted to attend Cal Lutheran.ย 

โ€œMy dad was the former head coach for womenโ€™s and menโ€™s water polo at Cal Lutheran. Iโ€™ve been around the program for such a long time, so Cal Lu has kind of always felt like home to me,โ€ Rond said.ย 

In 2019, she earned Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference newcomer of the year, All-SCIAC First Team, and All-America First Team. Rond earned All-America First Team in 2020, and in 2021 she earned All-SCIAC First Team, SCIAC Offensive Athlete of the Year, All-America First Team, and Division III Player of the Year.ย 

With the most recent womenโ€™s water polo season just ending, Rond was also named All-SCIAC First Team and SCIAC Offensive Athlete of the Year in 2022. She was also once again nominated by Head Coach Cody Pletcher for Division III Player of the Year.ย 

โ€œItโ€™s always really humbling and exciting to see that your hard work has paid off. Especially because Iโ€™ve been training so hard for so long. Itโ€™s been great to be recognized and Iโ€™m really thankful for it,โ€ Rond said.ย 

Rondโ€™s coaches and teammates have been impressed by the work ethic sheโ€™s maintained throughout her Cal Lutheran career.

โ€œShe just has a championship mentality. From the first year that she was in conference and she was newcomer of the year, to this year when she was offensive player of the year, she turned heads. She was a dominant force in the two-meter area,โ€ Pletcher said.ย 

These accolades donโ€™t just happen by accident. An athlete must be very dedicated to their craft and have a true passion for the game that they play in order to be recognized year after year. Senior on the Regals water polo team Kaitlin Gardhouse said that Rond has an amazing work ethic.ย 

โ€œWeโ€™ve played together since middle school, all throughout club, high school, and now college. Lexi has one of the most amazing work ethics Iโ€™ve ever seen, and all of her hard work shows in the water with the stats that she has. Sheโ€™s my best friend and itโ€™s just amazing to see how hard sheโ€™s worked, and all of the accolades sheโ€™s gotten. Itโ€™s awesome and Iโ€™m just so proud of her,โ€ Gardhouse said.ย 

Not only is Rond a decorated athlete, but Gardhouse said sheโ€™s a great teammate.

โ€œOne of the things that makes her one of the best teammates Iโ€™ve ever had is that Iโ€™ve never heard her say anything about her individual stats. Itโ€™s always about the team and sheโ€™s always picking up her teammates,โ€ Gardhouse said.ย 

To cap off this historic career from Rond, she broke multiple womenโ€™s water polo records at Cal Lutheran. One award she got was the most career goals by any womenโ€™s water polo player in Cal Lutheran history.

โ€œItโ€™s really exciting. I grew up around Cal Lutheran because of my dad so I know the girl who had the record before and itโ€™s just kind of fun. Coming full circle and being able to break her record, itโ€™s just really cool getting to experience that because she coached me quite a bit when I was younger. Itโ€™s such an honor that Iโ€™ll be there for hopefully a while,โ€ Rond said.ย 

With the awards sheโ€™s earned and records sheโ€™s broken, Rond said her favorite memories from Cal Lutheran would be winning the SCIAC tournament her sophomore year, and taking trips to the east coast with her team.ย