The MMA club is welcome for all

Photo by Alexa Weisbond - Reporter

Coach Chris Ramos is beloved by members of the MMA Club.

Alexa Weisbond, Reporter

The Mixed Martial Arts Club at California Lutheran University is for those seeking to learn self-defense skills to prepare them for unwanted situations. Liban Yakob, club president and senior at Cal Lutheran, wants students to know the club is a safe space and that no one has to do anything they are not comfortable with.

โ€œWe are here to learn self-defense. We are not here to harm anyone. We are here to learn what to do in case we are ever in a situation that we donโ€™t want to be in, and, unfortunately, that happens to people every day,โ€ Yakob said.ย 

The MMA Club is still relatively new, with about 10 to 15 active members who meet every Wednesday from 7:30-8:30 p.m.ย 

Mary Lanzner, a first-year student, said the importance of being part of the club and how she uses it to release stress during the hectic weeks of the semester.

โ€œI am really happy that I am in the club because I get to learn how to defend myself, especially as a female, so itโ€™s just really good for me to learnโ€ฆespecially out in the world,โ€ Lanzner said.

Yakob emphasized the value of possessing self-defense skills, particularly as a female.ย 

โ€œAfter two years of being in this club, I can pretty much handle myselfโ€ฆI’m not really scared to be alone, especially at night,โ€ Yakob said.ย 

Behind these skills is Coach Chris Ramos, who currently runs the MMA club meetings and gives advice to newcomers who may feel intimidated or hesitant to join.ย 

โ€œThis club is perfect and is pretty much catered for beginners. I think 95% of the class is all beginners, so we go through a lot of the basics. It is really welcoming and pretty simplified,โ€ Ramos said.

Earl Burns-Lopez, a senior at Cal Lutheran who decided to join the MMA club during his junior year, reiterates the welcoming nature of the club.ย 

โ€œWe always encourage everybody to come, even if they donโ€™t know or donโ€™t have any experienceโ€ฆitโ€™s good for both ways; if you donโ€™t have experience, thatโ€™s goodโ€ฆyou do have experience, thatโ€™s good too,โ€ Lopez said.

Coach Ramos, who typically splits meetings between striking and grappling, describes his experience being a coach and how gratifying it is seeing all kinds of members, past and present.ย ย 

โ€œIt’s been awesome, I love seeing people come in and take a passion and interest in it. I see some of the alumni return as often as they can, they canโ€™t get enough of it. I love seeing beginners come in and once they start getting the hang of the techniques, how happy and proud they become. It is pretty rewarding to see that,โ€ Ramos said.ย 

Lanzner said the club provides a good workout when there is little time to go to the gym and Lopez added thatย the club is also an occasion to get to know other people.ย ย 

โ€œObviously you get a good decent workout, you can sweat, you actually meet some good peopleโ€ฆThe coach, Chris, is a great guy, everyone likes talking to him. Everyone just actually starts to get to know each other, and you actually get to make some new friendsโ€ฆitโ€™s always good to have self-defense in your arsenal,โ€ Lopez said.

Coach Ramos said the sport has been growing in popularity and has helped break stereotypes regarding the sport.

โ€œIt is becoming more mainstreamโ€ฆ just maybe four or five years ago the UFC, the main professional MMA league, was probably maybe about as popular as soccer in the U.S.โ€ฆand again, people realize itโ€™s not just a gritty sport,โ€ Ramos said.

The key takeaway from the MMA club, according to Yakob, is preparation.ย 

โ€œThis is to give us power and to make sure that weโ€™re prepared for anything. It is better to be prepared in life than not be prepared,โ€ Yakob said.