Par for the course

Get your soft claps ready because menโ€™s golf season is upon us.

After earning the opportunity to attend the NCAA Division III Golf Championship last season, the Cal Lutheran menโ€™s golf team is looking for a repeat in 2013.

With a mix of experienced seniors alongside talented underclassmen, the team is looking and feeling stronger than ever.

As the new season commences, the focus is on the seniors to bring strong leadership to the table.

โ€œThe way I plan on leading the team is by encouraging everyone to work really hard at reaching their personal goals for the spring season,โ€ said senior captain Parker Colvin. โ€œBy leading my team to strive for their personal best, we will perform at our best as a whole.โ€

Colvin, who was second on the team last year after shooting an average of 75.78 in 2012, has a personal goal of continuing on with a great season and leading his team to the D III Championship this year.

Senior co-captain Chad Kimmelshue, a 2012 Second Team All-SCIAC honoree, gives credit to his coach, Jeff Lindgren, on his strategic contribution to the teamโ€™s overall success the past few years.

โ€œCoach Lindgren has allowed us to compete against the best players in the nation. Not only top D III teams, but D II and D I teams as well,โ€ said Kimmelshue. โ€œWith our coach taking us to great tournaments to play against some of the best players in the nation, we learn what it takes to compete at high levels, which eventually helps us develop to become some of the best players in the nation.โ€

Each player has heart for the game of golf and believes choosing the Cal Lutheran golf team was a decision that helped them develop as players.

โ€œAfter competing on this golf team for four years, Iโ€™ve grown as an athlete mentally, physically and emotionally,โ€ said senior Cody Price.ย  โ€œIโ€™ve come a long way in my mental golf course management. Physically, I have become stronger every season, and emotionally, I am a more balanced athlete, thanks to my teammates and coach.โ€

2012 Ping All-West Region and First Team All-SCIAC selection, junior Mikey McGinn, hopes his love and growth throughout his years playing golf will contribute in the garnering of a championship title for him and his team.

โ€œMy favorite thing about golf is that it is a sport that cannot be mastered. There is always room for improvement, no matter who you are or how good you are,โ€ said McGinn. โ€œI think the key for us this season is consistency. If we are able to stay consistent throughout each round, we will have a great chance of winning the conference.โ€

Junior Derek Field and sophomores Barret McGinnis and Bobby Griffin are hoping to collaborate with the effort of their senior teammates to bring consistency and confidence to the course.

โ€œI have all the shots in my bag. It just comes down to believing in myself that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to,โ€ said Griffin. โ€œThat goes for my teammates as well.โ€

Freshman Jesse Rydalch reflected on the start of his first university golf season.

โ€œIโ€™m nervous about playing in my first tournament because I really donโ€™t want to choke on the first tee,โ€ said Rydalch. โ€œIโ€™m really looking forward to seeing how we do in the Division III National Championship this year. We have a really great opportunity.โ€

The 2013 SCIAC schedule features two, two-day tournaments followed by a two-round SCIAC Championship Tournament in April.

Cal Lutheran has been chosen to host the second SCIAC tournament. It will be held at La Purisima Golf Club in Lompoc, Calif., on April 6 and 7. With familiarity of the course, the Kingsmen have a chance to take home a championship.

Abby Sturgeon
    Published March 6, 2013