Women’s lacrosse ready for approaching season

Photo by Ysabella Gonzalez - Reporter

The Regals lacrosse team remains Cal Lutheran’s newest National Collegiate Athletic Association D-III program, being a member of the division since 2020.

Ysabella Gonzalez, Reporter

The California Lutheran University women’s lacrosse team is excited for their upcoming season as they look to make advancements on the field. 

Head Coach Laura McIntyre said that following their first full season after the COVID-19 pandemic last spring, the team has had a base to build from. 

“I’m really excited to actually make progress this season and move past where we were last year and get to that next evolution of our team,” McIntyre said. 

McIntyre’s enthusiasm for the season ahead was shared by players as well. Sophomore attacker and co-captain Megan Angus said that they faced adversity last year as the team was not set up the way they liked, but have learned from the experience.

“This season is going to be a lot different than last season because we have a lot more structure going in,” Angus said. 

One aspect the Regals have changed is their weight training, as they have been working out more in the gym to improve their level of play and build more intensity on the field.

“We have had more offseason weights this year as opposed to other years where we worked out less, and I think that affected our playing. Last season it was in a bad way because we worked out less and I feel like it would show in the games. I feel like we put in more work this offseason than last offseason,” junior midfielder Giselle Bonilla said.

Aside from hitting the weights hard, the Regals have tried to build a bond amongst one another, one that they hope will pay dividends in their training and games. 

McIntyre said that despite the team’s struggles in recent years, the aura of positivity has not faded from it.

“We’ve changed a lot as a team, with the people that we’ve gotten through, and the vibe of how we’re getting through things and working together,” McIntyre said. “But we’ve kind of changed how we’re doing some things and putting in more work where we can, and it’s nice to see the weight room continuing to be a huge asset for us.”

The Regals are also enthusiastic about having the opportunity to travel farther for games this year. 

“I’m looking forward to traveling. We finally get to go to Oregon this year,” sophomore defender and co-captain Malina Diaz said. “And I’m excited to see our team play because we have a lot of potential and new players that are excited to play, so I think our season is going to be a lot different this year.” 

McIntyre said she is especially excited for the team because the girls are stronger and more connected than in previous years. 

“I would say this team is stronger in a lot of different ways, mentally and physically. I think overall we’re going to be a better team than we were before for a lot of different reasons, but I think the chemistry of this group is going to push us further than previous years,” McIntyre said.

Even though the Regals will not have an abundance of senior experience on their side this year,  McIntyre is looking at it from a positive angle. 

“I want people to come to our games and come see us. I’m excited for this season overall and looking forward to seeing some of our first-years come out of their shells and seeing upperclassmen continue to evolve, and since we don’t have any seniors, it’s exciting to know that this is just that next iteration and next year it’ll be the same group with more experience and more leadership,” McIntyre said.

The Regals are hoping for support as they are looking forward to proving themselves. 

“I hope that we actually win games and show people that we can do it,” Bonilla said. 

The lacrosse team’s first game of the season will be at home against Whittier on Wednesday, Feb. 22, at 7 p.m.