Media largely ignores horrific abortion case

We live in a society where everyone is usually aware of everything going on at all times, but sometimes important stories can slip through the cracks.

The media have the power to choose what to cover and what to brush off.

The Dr. Kermit Gosnell case is a perfect example of a major controversy in which the media have looked the other way.

Gosnell was an abortion provider in Pennsylvania. His 39-year practice came to an abrupt stop when his gruesome, inhumane ways of carrying out these procedures were finally discovered.

During some of his procedures, Gosnell induced labor and delivered a breathing baby, before killing the newborn.

This is no longer abortion, but murder.

Kareema Cross, an employee at Gosnellโ€™s clinic, the Womenโ€™s Medical Society, testified that she saw babies born that were moving, breathing and making noises.

CLU sophomore Berlin Galvan believes that these babies had lives as soon as they were born.

โ€œOnce you are born, you are a slate. Once you cry, you have had a first experience,โ€ said Galvan.

Gosnell provided the abortion service to women well into their second and third trimesters. Pennsylvania has a law allowing abortions up to 24 weeks, which is equivalent to the beginning of the third trimester.

After this point, fetuses are considered viable.

Some workers at the clinic testified that Gosnell performed a number of abortions past the 24-week limit.

Gosnell is currently on trial on charges of killing seven babies.

โ€œWe were able to document seven specific incidents in which Gosnell or one of his employees severed the spine of a viable baby born alive,โ€ said the grand jury, according CNS News.

โ€œIf someone can live on their own, itโ€™s not about abortion anymore. Itโ€™s about the living,โ€ said sophomore Naomi Asplund.

Gosnell can only be tried for the last two years of this practice due to the statute of limitations, but he is currently facing the death penalty.

Why did the media look the other way when such a serious issue was at hand?

Gosnell was arrested in 2011, but the media didnโ€™t spend much time covering the story until 2013.

By comparison, the Newtown Connecticut shooting made headlines instantly. Both stories are about the mass killing of children.

โ€œI feel like abortion is a hot-button topic, and they [media sources] are scared of backlashes,โ€ said sophomore Jacob Soriano. โ€œUnfortunately, itโ€™s all about funding, and the Connecticut shooting just happened to affect more people in one sitting.โ€

Kirsten Powers from Fox News explained in USA Today that when it came to this case and the media, there was only a โ€œdeafening silence.โ€

Seats where reporters should have been were empty at the trial.

People concerned with the lack of coverage started tweeting with the hashtag #gosnell to create an interest in the media.

Major news organizations finally covered the story after Powersโ€™ persuasive argument and the trending topic on Twitter.

This lack of coverage only results in a misinformed public.

It is sad that this terrible situation was ignored by the media for so long.

Holly Dunn
    Published April 24, 2013