How to dress to take on the world

You have one day of the week where you go from class to your internship to the gym. You donโ€™t have enough time to run back to your room to change, so what do you do? Stressing about what youโ€™ll be wearing on your busy day is common for students who juggle school, work and extracurricular activities.

โ€œSome days I have work right after class, in which case I will wear my work uniform to class,โ€ said senior Sunday Wallace. โ€œItโ€™s not a big deal โ€˜cause my class is only an hour long, so I donโ€™t mind wearing my work clothes to class.โ€

This situation also occurs if you make plans such as going to the gym or playing basketball after work.

โ€œSometimes I wake up and go to the gym, then I have class or a job interview all in the same day, so I can either get dressed normally and change mid-day or dress professionally,โ€ said junior Harrison Sands.

Many students who work or have internships are faced with this situation.

โ€œUsually once a week is when I have to do this,โ€ said Wallace.

Some students donโ€™t mind wearing their work clothes to class, but others donโ€™t want to mess up their professional attire.

โ€œI donโ€™t want to wrinkle my nice work clothes; it doesnโ€™t look very professional,โ€ said junior Katie Jensen.

Packing your work clothes or more professional clothes is always an option if you donโ€™t want to wear them to class. This is also a good idea if you are leaving work or your internship to do something else after.

โ€œIf I have to go somewhere after work, I bring an extra change of clothes that isnโ€™t my work uniform; something more casual,โ€ said Wallace.

An easy way to dress up or dress down any outfit is with accessories. If you want to wear your professional or work clothes to class but donโ€™t want to look like youโ€™re running straight to work, tone it down with a patterned scarf or chunky necklace.

โ€œI usually just try to wear a basic outfit and move it to a more work-appropriate outfit,โ€ said Jensen.

You can make this transition from basic to professional easily with shoes. Open-toed shoes arenโ€™t work-appropriate, but they are for class or hanging out. When it is time for work, slip on a more professional shoe.

โ€œI make my outfits work for both class and work by changing my shoes from my ballet flats to a pair of black heels,โ€ said Jensen.

For guys, changing a typical outfit from class to work can be simple.

โ€œI will wear slacks and a button-up to class, then on the way to the interview I have a jacket and a tie in the car ready to go,โ€ said Sands.

Having a couple of things, such as a blazer, ready in your car can turn an ordinary outfit into one you can wear to work.

โ€œYou can dress up or down depending on what youโ€™re wearing to make it appropriate for whatever you are doing,โ€ said Sands.

โ€œMy advice is to try to keep it pretty simple,โ€ said Jensen. โ€œThis way you can add more to make it work for a more professional occasion or take something away to keep it on the casual side.โ€

Lindsey Walton