Kingsmen Water Polo falls short to La Verne Leopards

Abbey Saucedo
“We’re working on more motion-based offense, it seemed like we had some good drives today,” Head Men’s and Women’s Water Polo Coach John Jacobson said. “We just had a couple passes that came short and we couldn’t quite convert on everything we wanted to.”

The California Lutheran University men’s water polo team fell with a score of 7-9 against the University of La Verne on Wednesday, Nov. 8 in the team’s penultimate game of the season. This marked the team’s first loss to La Verne since 2018, and brought the Kingsmen’s Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference record to 4-7. 

“I think our guys fought hard,” Head Men’s and Women’s Water Polo Coach John Jacobson said. “They put forth a really good effort and they got a couple goals at the end there to bring that game within two. We just missed a couple of opportunities at the end there and just couldn’t close it out.”

La Verne scored six goals in the first two quarters, while Cal Lutheran scored two. Sophomore 2-meter defender Jack Bradbury picked up the Kingsmen’s momentum with a goal in the third quarter, as it was followed by three more goals from senior 2-meter defender Tommy Riffle, sophomore attacker Brody Swarm, and senior utility player Zane Hermann, respectively.

Junior utility player Kayden Sourbeer scored one more goal in the fourth quarter, bringing the Kingsmen’s overall score to seven. Despite the Kingsmen keeping the Leopards at bay throughout the fourth quarter, the visitors’ goals in the first three quarters were enough to see them over the finish line and claim the 9-7 victory.

“Our goal is to hold them under ten and outscore the other team,” Hermann said. “I’d say our defense was actually there and we did a good job with that.”

Bradbury led the team in shots on goal, recording a season-high total of seven. Sourbeer and Hermann followed, each recording five shots on goal during Wednesday’s game, a season-high for Hermann. In addition, sophomore goalkeeper Bo DuBois recorded three steals and saved a total of 12 shots. 

Going into the game, Jacobson said the team’s main focus was to limit the number of turnovers and maintain a consistent defense, both of which he said are areas where the team has previously struggled in prior matches.

The team has been working on good communication in practice, something that Jacobson said was executed well against La Verne. Jacobson said he is looking forward to working on the team’s counter-defense skills and creating more space for the offense during scoring opportunities.

“We’re working on more motion-based offense. It seemed like we had some good drives today,” Jacobson said. “We just had a couple passes that came short and we couldn’t quite convert on everything we wanted to.”

DuBois said during intense games, the team tries to prioritize a sense of calm, as well as remembering to play their game, not the opponent’s.

“Letting the game come to us is one of our mottos,” DuBois said. “We almost did that at the end, but we fell short.”

In comparison to last year’s season where the Kingsmen won the SCIAC championship, they have had a tougher water polo season this fall, with a conference record of 4-7 and an overall record of 7-17, compared to last year’s 7-4 conference record and 17-15 overall record.

Hermann said the team is hoping to finish the season strong, especially ahead of Saturday’s Senior Day game against Pomona-Pitzer.

“Compared to last year, we’re not having the same kind of season,” Hermann said. “We lost some people, gained some new people, and I think we’re just trying to overall mesh together and create a good team chemistry together for next year.”

Dubois said the team is looking forward to moving past this game and being well-prepared for the next, and emphasized the importance of being able to let this loss go.

“Let it go, move on to the next one,” DuBois said. “Just start thinking about the next game.”

The Kingsmen will face off at home against Pomona-Pitzer in their final game of the season on Saturday, Nov. 11 at 11 a.m.