Student Philanthropy Club hosts Valentine’s Day heartgrams event

Clubs across campus got in the Valentine’s Day spirit by hosting themed events and booths during the week. One of the clubs was the Student Philanthropy Council (SPC) on Tuesday, Feb. 13 which held a booth at Jack’s Corner.

Students were able to write Valentine’s Day heartgrams to share with friends and faculty. The SPC booth had sweetheart cookies, beverages, and candy available for students and a chance to win prizes with a raffle.

The event was available to students who had given their class gift. 

“The Student Philanthropy Council’s main idea with student giving is for students to feel a part of the community of CLU, to feel like their gifts have an impact,” SPC Supervisor Bryleigh Blaise said. 

Junior and Co-President Michel Lupian said the class gifts are based on what grade the students are in. For first-year students, it is $5, for sophomores, it is $10, for juniors, it is $15, and for seniors, it is their graduate year so, $24.

Members of SPC said that the goal of the booth was to raise awareness for not only the council but to also encourage students to donate to their “class gift” since those gifts are what help fund the scholarships provided by the campus.  

“Here on campus, about 98 percent of the students are on scholarships, so by giving your class gift back to the community, it gives back to the student fund,” senior and Co-President Alexus Solis said. 

The SPC will be hosting another booth where students can donate their class gift on Feb. 22 at Jack’s Corner.