India Club hosts colorful Holi celebration

California Lutheran Universityโ€™s India Club and the Center of Global Engagement celebrated their annual Holi Celebration on March 26 at Kingsmen Park as part of the International Students and Scholars series.

Holi originates from India and is a festival to rejoice and celebrate the arrival of spring.ย 

Attendees threw colored dust explosions at each other, danced to Hindi music, tie-dyed, and ate traditional Indian cuisine.

โ€œMost of us are international students, we’re in a country where we don’t know a lot of people. I hope that they have found a family away from home, a home away from home. I hope they felt that love today that they do at home. I hope they feel maybe a percentage of the happiness that they feel at home when they play this or these games are celebrated,โ€ India Club President Avya Pandhi said.

All students and faculty were encouraged to participate and share in the celebration.

โ€œI learned more about this culture. I knew some things about the Indian culture, and just being able to experience it firsthand is just so beautiful, but to look out for events about different cultures that come out of the center of global engagement and submerge myself, trying new cultures and learning about them, and go to Holi again next year,โ€ MBA student and attendee Rosie Baker said.

First-year student and event attendee Pia Valtierra said the community the Indian culture has is very welcoming to everyone.

“Despite us not being Indian, they were just like, they wanted us to embrace their culture. And it’s so beautiful. And we’re just really happy to be here,โ€ Valtierra said.ย 

For upcoming events and more information visit the Center for Global Engagement’s website for more information.