Letter to the Editor: CLU Supports New Film and TV Major

“Student opinions are important. More essential for informed discourse, however, are facts. Since I joined CLU as Associate Professor and Chair of the new Film and TV Department in August, 2022, CLU has invested more than $70,000 for the procurement, repair, and maintenance of studio and field production gear for use in nine film/TV and communication courses. We have added new cameras, state-of-the-art lighting kits, professional-grade field microphones, various camera mounts, sound proofing for a new audio recording studio, preproduction software, and other gear exclusively for student use.

This is in addition to the thousands of dollars ITS spends each semester on licensing and upkeep of professional-grade film and TV production software and hardware in Mac labs across campus. Next academic year, we plan to add new high-end cameras, lenses, and camera stabilization devices. Some students may not know that we also have a jib arm/crane, dolly, slider, follow focus rig, and various grip gear. In addition to production equipment, we host several events on campus where students can learn more about the industry and make professional connections: Women in Film Summit, Latinx Film and TV Summit, BIPOC Film and TV Summit, AAPI Film and TV Summit, Middle Eastern Film and TV Summit. We are continually expanding internship opportunities for students locally and regionally. Finally, we have added four new FTV courses, revised existing courses, revamped the major and minor, and are now featuring summer courses taught by visiting industry professionals (Writing for Television, The Business of Film). As a longtime educator and film and TV professional, I am very excited about the present and future of the program and grateful for the support that CLU provides the department and our students.

Dr. John Fitch III

Associate Professor and Film and Television Program Director”