CLU hypes award season

The Academy Awards has had many memorable moments throughout its existence. Who could forget when Best Actor winner, Adrien Brody, planted a passionate kiss on presenter Halle Berry while accepting his award in 2003? Or when Jennifer Lawrence tripped and fell over her dress on her way up to accepting her Best Actress awardย  in 2013? Every year, people of all ages gather around their TV to watch what is known as one of the biggest nights of the year.

The show begins with a red carpet. One after another, movie stars make their way down showing off their designer attire and over the top accessories as they anxiously await to see who will take home the film industryโ€™s highest honor.

Communication major Ashley Kurtz loves watching the red carpet pre-show to see what her favorite stars are wearing. One of Kurtzโ€™ favorite looks is Jennifer Lawrenceโ€™s 2011 Calvin Klein gown.

โ€œThe dress was gorgeous,โ€ Kurtz said. โ€œI thought the red made her stand out. She was probably the best dressed that night.โ€

For some, the Academy Awards is a magical event where their favorite stars are honored for their work in film during the year.

โ€œI just love the glitz and the glam,โ€ said junior Ally Ruggles. โ€œWe feel like we know these people, like they are our best friends. So, of course, we are rooting for them, wanting them to win.โ€

This is not the case for all students, however. Senior David Lynn has a completely different view of the award show.

โ€œIt really doesnโ€™t matter to me. All these actors are millionaires anyway so it doesnโ€™t really matter to me whether they get a trophy or not,โ€ Lynn said.

The Academy Awards began in 1929, and has since become one of the biggest nights of the year. With categories such as Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director and Best Motion Picture, the awards help officially determine who gave the best performance in film during the year.

Senior Marcell Lee has a more skeptical view.

โ€œMost actors and actresses win because of who they are. Itโ€™s not always about the content,โ€ Lee said.

Junior Courtney Ambrosius agreed and said, โ€œI think itโ€™s all about popularity, not just the performance.โ€

One aspect of the show many seem to agree on is this yearโ€™s host. Although there has been controversy surrounding the host of the Academy Awards, this yearโ€™s choice, Ellen DeGeneres, has had close to nothing but positive feedback.

โ€œI love her, she is so funny. I will honestly probably be watching this year only because she is hosting,โ€ Ambrosius said.

Whether or not you have any interest in this yearโ€™s show, the Academy Awards promises to be a night to remember. With Hollywoodโ€™s biggest stars in attendance, it is clear that this year will not be any different.

To watch the 86th Annual Academy Awards, tune into ABC on March 2 at 7 p.m.

Natalie Kalamdaryan
Published Feb. 5, 2014