News Briefs: On Campus, Across the Nation, & Around the World

Los Angeles faces homelessness emergency

e Los Angeles City Council called for $100 million after declaring a state of emergency on homelessness for reasons including a shortage of affordable housing and lack of emergency shelter.

โ€œIt makes it easier for non profits and faith institutions to operate shelters and safe parking programs, and opens up the possibility for the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority to use city facilities for the same purpose,โ€ Council member Mike Bonin said.

According to figures released by the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, homelessness in Los Angeles has increased 12 percent since the mayor took office two years ago. The city has one of the largest untitled populations in the country, and more than an estimated 25,000 residents are declared homeless.

Man arrested in Thousand Oaks

According to the Ventura ย  ย  County Star, an arrest was made Thursday in connection with thefts reported throughout the Thousand Oaks area.

Authorities arrested Kenneth Koffi, 19, after a resident spotted an unknown male โ€œrummagingโ€ through a vehicle in the early morning hours on Wednesday, the Ventura County Sheriffโ€™s Office said.

Koffi was found to have property from several other unlocked vehicles, and arrested on suspicion of theft from vehicles, possession of stolen property and resisting arrest authorities said.

After conducting a search warrant for Koffiโ€™s home, detectives found more items believed to have been stolen and evidence that he was selling illegal drugs, according to authorities.

Countries work together against ISIS

Iraq says it has reached a deal to share intelligence with Russia, Iran and Syria in the fight against ISIS militants, according to CNN.

The Sunday announcement came from the Iraqi military and cited โ€œthe increasing concern from Russia about thousands of Russian terrorists committing criminal acts within ISIS.โ€

The article revealed that although a United States-led coalition has been carrying out an ariel bombing campaign against ISIS positions in Iraq and Syria since last year, Russia is beginning to up its presence in the region. This confirms U.S. intelligence indicators that Russians might be setting up some type of operation in Baghdad, according to the Pentagon.

Grocery store chain files bankruptcy

The Los Angeles Times reports Haggen Inc. is leaving California after a โ€œdramatic expansion gone wrongโ€ forced the grocery chain to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection this month.

In the article, the Bellingham, Wash., company said it is closing all stores in the state as part of a larger exit of its Pacific Southwest holdings, including Arizona and Nevada. Following the closure of 27 stores announced last month, at least 100 outlets will be affected, 67 of which are in California.

Haggen has been struggling since paying what analysts estimated to be more than $1.4 billion for 146 Albertsons, Vons, Pavillions and Safeway grocery stores, states The LA Times.

Analysts said Haggenโ€™s failure had long been expected by experts in the supermarket industry. The article stated the company did not announce how many employees would be affected by the closing, but unions leaders estimated that about 8,000 workers could be affected in California alone.

Kristen Hansen
Published September 30th, 2015