Sports Briefs: News From Around the Leagues

Garcon leads NFL lawsuit against FanDuel

Washington Redskins wide receiver Pierre Garcon is leading a class-action lawsuit for NFL players against daily fantasy site FanDuel, according to ESPN.

Garcon is “suing for misuse of players’ names and likenesses, exploiting them without proper licenses or permissions,” reported the sports source. Per ESPN, the lawsuit, which was filed in federal court in Maryland, noted that Garcon’s name appears frequently in FanDuel commercials and advertisements.

Garcon claims that he and the other players should be compensated by FanDuel for the use of their names, which he said has driven up revenues for the company, stated ESPN.

According to the source, members of Congress have called for hearings into the daily fantasy sports industry, and FanDuel and competitor DraftKings, who is not named in the suit, have attracted the attention of regulators in several states.

American Pharoah goes out with a win

According to Fox Sports, Triple Crown Champion American Pharoah won the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic by 6.5 lengths Oct. 31, smashing the old track record in his final race before retirement.

The 3-year-old colt ran 1.25 miles in a track-record 2:00.07 as the sentimental 3-5 favorite among the crowd of 50,155 at Keeneland in Lexington, Kentucky, reported Fox Sports.

The colt won nine of his 11 career starts, including the first sweep of the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont in 37 years this spring ending the Triple Crown drought, according to The Associated Press. According to Fox Sports, American Pharoah will now embark on a new career as a breeding stallion at a farm in Century bluegrass country.

“This was for Pharoah,” trainer Bob Baffert said. “We wanted him to go out the champion he is.”

Diego Costa facing suspension after foul

Chelsea striker Diego Costa could be handed a four-match ban by the Football Association for an alleged kick on Liverpool’s Martin Skrtel, reported Sports Mole.

According to the official Chelsea Football Club website, the incident which “saw the Spaniard seemingly dig his boot into Skrtel’s chest,” took place during the Blues’ 3-1 loss at Stamford Bridge on Oct. 31.

According to Sports Mole, no action was taken by referee Mark Clattenburg at the time but retrospective action could now be taken should it be deemed worthy of a red card.

Costa has already faced trial by television once this season after receiving a three-game ban for clashing with Arsenal defender Laurent Koscienly, meaning that he will automatically be handed a one-match suspension on top if found guilty for a second time, stated Sports Mole.

Kristen Hansen
Published November 4th, 2015