Hats and High Tea

On March 12 the California Lutheran University Community Leaders Association (CLA) held its seventh annual Hats and High Tea, which serves to raise money for student scholarships and faculty grants.

โ€œWe just wanted to make something that people could come and enjoy,โ€ said Community Relations Coordinator Cindy Keitel, who has worked through the University Relations office with the CLA to host this event since its founding. โ€œI think people enjoy both the beauty of the experience as well as the wonderful social environment.โ€

Kim Overton (L) and John Larisey (R) share a conversation by the silent auction tables at the seventh annual Hats and High Tea event intended to raise money for scholarships on March 12 in Gilbert Arena.  Photos by Amanda Souza- Staff Photographer
    Kim Overton (L) and John Larisey (R) share a conversation by the silent auction tables at the seventh annual Hats and High Tea event intended to raise money for scholarships on March 12 in Gilbert Arena.
    Photos by Amanda Souza- Staff Photographer

The afternoon took place in Gilbert Arena with live music from student Katherine Reaves and harpist Vonette Yanaginuma. Attendees were also invited to take place in a raffle and silent auction with different prizes such as gift baskets and coupons.

Cal Lutheran alumnus Karsten Lundring kept the event running as a first-time emcee. Lundring, a 1965 graduate, attended Cal Lutheran during its first academic year after opening in 1961.

โ€œIโ€™m looking at it, and wow itโ€™s so over the top, itโ€™s unbelievable,โ€ Lundring said. โ€œWhen I started as a student we had just a few buildings, and even a few chicken coops. Now, the faculties and the events like this, itโ€™s just amazing.โ€

Attendees were encouraged to wear a hat, and each table had a festive theme such as Christmas, Breakfast at Tiffanyโ€™s or under the sea. Awards were given in a variety of categories, such as Most Creative Table Setting and Most Elegant Hat.

This yearโ€™s Hats and High Tea set the record for having the highest attendance, as well as having the first ever all-male table with the theme โ€˜All the Kingsmen.โ€™ After a reception, food and dessert were served and the musicians performed. Judges wandered around to look at all the different hats and pick their winners.

โ€œJudging is fun, thereโ€™s a lot of thought that goes into it, and itโ€™s an honor to be asked to be a part of the event,โ€ said senior Jessica Maxey, who worked as a judge for tables the previous year and for hats this year. Maxey works as one of two student representatives on the CLA board.

Student Ambassador Tori Lahney (R) helps University Village Activities Director Jayne Austin (L) make tea for the University Village table during the seventh annual Hats and High Tea event intended to raise money for scholarships on March 12 in Gilbert Arena. Photos by Amanda Souza- Staff Photographer
    Student Ambassador Tori Lahney (R) helps University Village Activities Director Jayne Austin (L) make tea for the University Village table during the seventh annual Hats and High Tea event intended to raise money for scholarships on March 12 in Gilbert Arena.

CLA, founded in 1963, works to engage community interest in Cal Lutheranโ€™s academic, athletic and cultural programs. Members organize fundraisers and social events throughout the year to support department work and student scholarships. This yearโ€™s scholarship recipients, selected for their community service, leadership potential and academic achievement, were Sonora Caroll, Anissa Fraijo, Cody Jones, Julia Kearns, Christian Moreno, Kayla Dubowsky, and Alexandra Stewart.

The next CLA event will be the 17th annual golf tournament, hosted Thursday, June 15 at the Moorpark Country Club. For more information, visit the CLA page on the Cal Lutheran website.

Emily Graybill