Living in Thousand Oaks is too Expensive for College Students

Kaitlin Rodriguez, Reporter

For as long as I can remember, I have dreamed of living in Los Angeles. Yet once I started college those dreams came to a crashing halt.

I quickly learned that it was impossible to live on my own while being a full-time student, and Iโ€™m not alone. The cost of living is so high that itโ€™s unlivable for the average college student, driving myself and others back home to our parents.

According to a 2017 Sallie Mae study, half of college students lived at home.

I almost feel a sort of shame because of this โ€“ I feel like I should be able to live on my own and pay my own way.

According to Area Vibes, the average monthly rent for an apartment is $1,896 in the city of Thousand Oaks. In comparison, the national average is only $949. ย  ย  ย 

On top of taking 18 credits this semester, I am also working three jobs that almost put me at full-time status.

With the minimum wage in Thousand Oaks $11/hour, to afford the average rent you would have to work over four 40-hour weeks, or full time, and all your money would go to rent.

โ€œI first moved out to Thousand Oaks last August and had to get an apartment with a roommate to be able to afford it,โ€ said 20-year-old Thousand Oaks resident Michaela Niedermayer. โ€œThe rent for my half is around $1700 with utilities, which in comparison to a lot of places out here isnโ€™t that bad, but I still canโ€™t afford it without help from my parents.โ€

Niedermayer was a student at Moorpark College last year, but eventually had to drop out to work full time.

โ€œMy parents couldnโ€™t help me with rent much anymore and I couldnโ€™t make ends meet while also going to college,โ€ Niedermayer said. โ€œI had to choose if I wanted to continue my education or keep a roof over my head.โ€

According to the Living Wage Calculator developed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology, living wage for an individual working full time in Ventura county without children is $14.63 an hour, $3.63 more than minimum wage.

Quite literally, Thousand Oaks for low-income individuals is unlivable. And for lack of more eloquent words- it really sucks.ย 

The โ€œCalifornia dreamโ€ has become a โ€œCalifornia nightmare.โ€