Regals Volleyball Prepares for Fall Season Amid COVID-19 Concerns

Isaiah Volk

First-year setter Jenna Jones sets up sophomore middle blocker Maci Haddad for an attack against University of Redlands on senior night.

Antonio Valle, Reporter

Standout First Team All-SCIAC, sophomore middle blocker Maci Haddad and Second Team All-SCIAC first-year opposite Morgan Given are looking to bring the heat as returning players on the California Lutheran University Regals 2020 volleyball team.

Head Coach Kellee Roesel expects that many of her returning players will help carry the team to the post-season again.ย ย 

โ€œPlayers to watch next season include: Maci Haddad- captain, junior, all-americanโ€ฆ Mackenzie Martinez- pin hitter, most versatile kid I have ever coached, leader, lover of the game,โ€ Roesel said. โ€œMorgan Given- right side hitter (all-SCIAC), explosive, smart. Sarah Hein- versatile, high IQ, seasoned veteran.โ€

The California Lutheran University Regals volleyball team finished the 2019 season 17-11 overall and 11-5 in conference play. The Regals finished third in the conference standings behind Chapman and Claremont Mudd-Scripps.ย 

โ€œMy team worked very hard and achieved most of their goals, despite various challenges, and developed relationships that they will have for a lifetime,โ€ Roesel said.ย 

This season did not end the way that the Regals wanted but there was a lot for the team to reflect on.

โ€œIโ€™d say this past season was definitely a growing season for us, and it still went pretty well for what we had going on. We had a couple injuries to some key players,โ€ Haddad said. โ€œOverall we had a good season, but weโ€™re definitely looking to grow this next season.โ€

Though COVID-19 has limited team workouts, โ€œweโ€™re all doing the best we can with these workouts and utilizing what we have at home to stay in shape,โ€ Haddad said. โ€œAs a team, we do a Zoom call twice a week to stay connected and up to date with things going on. And for me, Iโ€™ve been working out everyday and practicing some footwork drills to keep me in volleyball shape.โ€

Following the previous season, there are many positives for the team to take away to use this season.

โ€œI think this season we all were super close and did a lot of things off the court that created better team chemistry, so we will definitely work in creating the same dynamics for next season,โ€ Haddad said.ย 

Coach Roesel said she first and foremost hopes to have a season.ย 

โ€œI just hope we have a season.ย  If we do, it will undoubtedly be the most appreciated season we have ever had. The goal is always the same. I expect the kids to work as hard as they possibly can on and off the court,โ€ Roesel said. โ€œ Love each other and the program with all of their heart.ย  Develop a sisterhood that will last a lifetime and lastly, become scholar athletes.โ€

The Regals also look to win the SCIAC championship.ย 

โ€œWe always have the goal of competing in the SCIAC and making a run at a SCIAC championship,โ€ Assistant Womenโ€™s Coach and Head Menโ€™s Volleyball Coach Kevin Judd said. โ€œAfter that, we take it a match at a time as we go for a Regional Championship and finallyโ€ฆa National Championship.โ€