‘WAP’ empowers women

Christian Davis, Reporter

“WAP”—Cardi B’s new single featuring Megan Thee Stallion—has added fuel to the fire in the clash between liberals and conservatives.

The song, which was released on Aug. 7,  remained on the Billboard Hot 100 list for 3 weeks and was the first single to do so that was released by women artists, according to Billboard.

James P. Bradley, who ran for Congress in California’s District 33, tweeted, “Cardi B & Megan Thee Stallion are what happens when children are raised without God and without a strong father figure.”

Bradley lost the election to Democrat Tod Lieu.

I feel like Bradley’s view is hypocritical coming from a party that supports a president who spews profanities towards women. The song highlights conservatives’ lack of acceptance of all cultures and empowerment of women.

Personally, I feel this song has been so successful because it is so ‘vulgar’ that it is actually refreshing. I can’t remember a song in recent history that if I played it in front of my mom in the car, she would kick me out the passenger seat—and this song achieves that.

But this song isn’t great solely because of its raunchy lyrics, but because it expresses the sexuality of women in an industry dominated by male artists.

According to the BBC, 91 men or all-male groups were recognized on the Official Chart Company’s top 100 most popular songs of 2018, compared to 30 female acts in the same year.

On his podcast, comedian Russel Brand poses an interesting question: “Do women achieve equality by aspiring and replicating the values that have been established by males?”

I feel that if the current values established by men are to see women as objects, then why can’t women see men as objects?

It is for women to decide how they see men. I’m not saying all men are objects, but there are plenty of jerks out there in the world.

An anonymous female graduate student at California Lutheran University said in an email interview, “The song signifies that there are no boundaries between what men and women can and can’t do because of their gender.”

The gap between men and women is slowly closing, which is a great step forward for women in all aspects of our culture.

This year, America has elected our first ever female, Black and Asian Vice President of the United States, Kamala Harris. Cardi B’s single “WAP” and Kamala Harris’s election is proof women can do just as well as men–if not better–in today’s world.