Cal Lutheran’s Kupa’a Hawai’i Club hosts ribbon lei making event

%E2%80%9CWe%E2%80%99re+here+to+help+celebrate+other+cultures+and+to+be+engaged+in+other+cultural+activities.+I+think+this+event+is+important+in+the+way+of+celebrating+other+heritages+and+representing+other+cultures+and%2C+here+at+Cal+Lutheran%2C+that%E2%80%99s+what+it%E2%80%99s+all+about%2C+CLU+Kupa%E2%80%99a+Hawai%E2%80%99i+Club+member+Kara+Zaccaro+said.+
Photo Contributed by CLU Kupa’a Hawai’i Club
“We’re here to help celebrate other cultures and to be engaged in other cultural activities. I think this event is important in the way of celebrating other heritages and representing other cultures and, here at Cal Lutheran, that’s what it’s all about,” CLU Kupa’a Hawai’i Club member Kara Zaccaro said.

On Tuesday, Oct. 17, the Kupa’a Hawai’i Club held a ribbon lei-making event on the California Lutheran University campus on the Center for Cultural Engagement & Inclusion patio. According to the Hōkūle’a website, Hōkūle’a means “star of gladness” in Hawaiian and it is a canoe “revered for reviving the lost art of Polynesian voyaging and navigation.”

According to members of the Kupa’a Hawai’i Club, they gifted the crew the lei and got a tour of the canoe and insight into the many adventures of their voyages and the history of the Hōkūle’a.

The Kupa’a Hawai’i Club is open to all students on campus. The club’s goals are to share various traditions originating from Hawaii, including food, music, and cultural traditions while bringing the student body together.