Pumpkins N’ Brew connects undergraduate and graduate students

Kastenny Flores
“As ASCLUG, we are always looking for ways to create programming that students can enjoy. This event embodies the creative events that cater to students who want to enjoy and partake in activities that are put on campus,” ASCLU Programs Board Director Randy Martinez said.

Coffee from Matt’s Coffee Express, pastries and free pumpkins were given out to all attendees of California Lutheran University’s Pumpkins N’ Brew event on Friday, Nov. 10 in Kingsmen Park. The event was part of the Associated Students of California Lutheran University Programs Board popup events. 

“It was meant for students to relax and enjoy a casual evening with friends, light food and activities while enjoying a movie; The Nightmare Before Christmas,” ASCLU Programs Board Director Randy Martinez said. “Hence, it takes place during the time after Halloween and before Christmas holiday festivities.” 

Pumpkins N’ Brew was a collaboration between the ASCLUG Programs Board and the Graduate and Professionals Student Council, and Martinez said it was neither traditional nor annual, which meant the ASCLUG committee had to work harder to manage their time. 

The planning, according to Martinez, required a search through the academic calendar to see what tentative dates and times work for events during the semester. Martinez said once the planning committee was put together, the creative work began and vendors were contacted. 

“As ASCLUG, we are always looking for ways to create programming that students can enjoy. This event embodies the creative events that cater to students who want to enjoy and partake in activities that are put on campus,” Martinez said.

A pumpkin patch was set up to decorate the event, which Martinez said contributed to the fall season. Students had the opportunity to pick out a pumpkin and decorate it, and decorate mugs offered at a separate crafting table if attendees did not want to view the movie.  

ASCLUG Board Member Gisselle Bonilla said anyone was allowed to take any size pumpkin. The medium-sized pumpkins, Bonilla said, could also be used for cooking.

“I’m looking forward to people taking pictures. Since the layout looks so cute, I saw some reps taking pictures and thought they turned out very cute. I’m also looking forward to finishing all the mugs,” Bonilla said. 

Bonilla said Matt’s Coffee Express prepared many drinks, including coffee, tea, espresso drinks, blended coffee and fruit smoothies. 

GPSC Chair Yulissa Alvarado said she contacted ASCLUG to collaborate with the council during the November popup events. According to Alvarado, planning began in early October, and the event was held after Halloween and before Thanksgiving to give students a small break from schoolwork. 

“As the GPSC, Graduate and Professional Student Council, is trying to grow, we thought we’d collaborate with our undergraduate student council, ASCLUG, in hopes to also educate our diverse residents about the grad programs on campus and share our experiences with grad students,” Graduate Committee Member Gabby Pittle said. 

Alvarado said GPSC hopes graduate and professional students will build more connections and develop additional relationships to become more comfortable at Cal Lutheran through these types of events, as she said graduate students often lack a sense of belonging.

In the future, Alvarado said board members of ASCLUG and the Graduate and Professional Student Council hope to have more events that help eliminate stress from students’ lives.