My first Coachella experience, a weekend in the sun

Music lovers, rejoice. Itโ€™s time to talk about the Coachella Valley Music and Art Festival.

Coachella, as most call it, is the event of a lifetime for music fans. Located in Indio, Calif., fans can enjoy their favorite bands under the California desert sun.

Coachella attracts a huge range of artists and bands. From rock group Red Hot Chili Peppers, to rap group Wu-Tang Clan, to alternative favorite Phoenix, there is something for everyone.

โ€œItโ€™s a double-weekend music festival with multiple stages and sometimes a really good, long lineup of current and popular musicians,โ€ said sophomore David Krause. โ€œRecently, itโ€™s almost impossible to get a ticket.โ€

The festival is a two-weekend event, usually held in April.

When I first heard about Coachella, I was awestruck. People told me that it was the best music festival in California. The festival is laid out so Coachella-goers can have a musical adventure. Iโ€™ve always wanted to go and was finally able to attend this year.

Natasha Boychenko, a sophomore at CLU who attended Coachella in her senior year of high school, raved about the vibe of the festival.

โ€œThe overall atmosphere was fantastic. There was an energy surrounding everyone that you donโ€™t find many other places,โ€ said Boychenko.

Claira Castillo, a sophomore at California State University Channel Islands, attended Coachella with me.

โ€œThere was such great energy. Everyone was very friendly and there to see the same bands,โ€ said Castillo.

Coachella keeps music lovers on their toes with surprise guests each weekend. Coachella-goers of 2012 enjoyed rapper Tupacโ€™s rise from the dead in a very realistic hologram. This year, R. Kelly and Fall Out Boy amazed the crowd with their appearances.

The festival is a popular celebrity hang out. Famous faces at the latest Coachella included Leonardo DiCaprio, Katy Perry and frequent attendee Vanessa Hudgens.

I went to Coachella from April 19 to April 21. I was in the front row for all three days and hung out by the main stage where all the big acts played. I learned a lot about festival lifestyle.

โ€œTo prepare for Coachella, I checked the Coachella website to see guidelines on what to bring and what to leave at home. I also asked some of my friends who have already gone on what to bring and which stages to check out,โ€ said Castillo.

If youโ€™re thinking of going to Coachella, donโ€™t forget to pack sunscreen and water. There is a water fountain available, so bring a reusable water bottle.

Plan out your wardrobe accordingly. Make sure to check the weather and keep your outfit light for those hot desert days. Also, make sure to bring a warm jacket for when the temperature drops at night.

The desert sun can be a challenge, but if you take the right precautions, Coachella can be an absolute blast.

โ€œNo festival really has as diverse music or as much as Coachella has. During the weekend, you always have a show to be rushing off to,โ€ said Krause.

Louie DeMetre
Published May 1, 2013