The installation of Rev. Dr. Colleen Windham-Hughes as new Associate Vice President of Mission and Identity

Giselle Hernandez
“It means changing where I spend my time. So instead of being so many hours in the classroom and in faculty spaces, which I love and do miss, it puts me in other spaces to be doing retreat and professional development with different groups of people, staff, faculty and students,” Windham-Hughes said.

Rev. Dr. Colleen Windham-Hughes accepted her role as California Lutheran University’s new Associate Vice President of Mission and Identity on Feb. 22, in an installation service held in Samuelson Chapel.

The Thursday morning chapel service began with a sermon presented by University Pastor Rev. Scott Hamilton Adams, music performed by the Cal Lutheran choir, a communal prayer, and a welcome ceremony for Windham-Hughes, affectionately known by the students as “Dr. Dub.”

The position of Associate Vice President of Mission and Identity became available when Rev. Melissa Maxwell-Doherty retired in May 2022. Windham-Hughes said she sensed a calling toward this position. She said she felt called to dedicate more of her work to the community-building aspect of the position.

Community, education and the idea that every individual has a vocation and gift they are called to are the three aspects that Windham-Hughes stands for and will carry with her in the new role, Windham-Hughes said. 

“One of my first collaborations when I took on the job was with Doctor Lorenna Munoz, who is Director of Ethnic and Race Studies, as well as the Interim Chief Diversity Officer,” Windham-Hughes said. “And part of my passion is letting people know that educational reform has been part of what it means to be Lutheran since the sixteenth century.” 

Windham-Hughes said Mission and Identity continues the legacy and spirit of Martin Luther’s reformation of the 16th century, which expanded beyond the church. She said this includes education, social and economic reform into the 21st century. This ensures the sustainability, Windham-Hughes said, of the university’s status as a Hispanic serving institution, of the Scholars of Black Excellence, the Ronald McNair Fellowship, and other campus initiatives.

“I’m so super nerdy about vocation, which is the idea that every being is gifted and has something to offer the world, and that every being needs the gifts of others, and that a community has what it needs when every being gets to cultivate and hone their gifts,” Windham Hughes said. “And so this is just an opportunity for me to do that more of the time.”

Prior to her new position, Windham-Hughes served as a faculty member and Religion Department Chair for 13 years. She has also served as Associate Dean of Interdisciplinary Programs and Community Outreach in the College of Arts and Sciences.

She said this new position will provide her with increased opportunities for community building with constituencies. 

Windham-Hughes said this new role will place her in different rooms. Some of those rooms will be with the Board of Regents, the cabinet, and the president to offer spiritual council and grounding in her and her department’s values of Lutheran higher education, Windham-Hughes said.

Windham-Hughes has seemingly made an impact on those around her, including junior Nairi Semerdjian, member of Campus Ministry and CLU Choir.

“Dr. Dub is a wonderful, sweet person and I love that she has such a big heart to give to every single person that crosses her path,” Semerdjian said. “If she’s working for mission and identity, if she’s working towards anything that can improve the students and then can improve our environment as student life, then I’m all for it, because I know that she actually hears people and will be a good voice.”

Windham-Hughes also collaborates with Rev. Scott Adams, doing a lot of work centered on diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.

“We work together,” Adams said. “We collaborate in the department or the Office of Mission and Identity to continue to do the work that one, we’re called to by God, and two, also to ensure that the community receives all of the things that are necessary to allow us to flourish and to even cultivate greater relationships with one another as we continue to serve Cal Lutheran and the greater community.”

The installation chapel service highlighted Windham-Hughes’ commitment to the campus community. 

“This is a place founded by Lutherans, but really intended for all, so this new vocation is not just if you’re a member in a church or if you share particular thoughts about God or the Bible or anything,” Windham-Hughes said. “It’s actually always on purpose for the whole community, and I just think that’s an amazing way to approach education.”

View Comments (2)