CCEI hosts Indigenous People’s Heritage Trivia Night

Erika Flores
โ€œThis is a safe space. We’re all just trying to learn more and also have fun while doing it,” Programming Intern and junior Nโ€™dia Battle said.

California Lutheran University’s Center for Cultural Engagement and Inclusion hosted an Indigenous Peopleโ€™s Heritage Trivia on Tuesday, April 17 at the Student Union. Students and attendees had the opportunity to play a few rounds of trivia that were based on Indigenous peoples and Native American history.

The event offered a variety of prizes and food such as empanadas that originate from Galicia, Spain and Portugal.ย 

โ€œI think it’s just important that we recognize different cultural groups outside of their recognized heritage months,โ€ Programming Intern and junior Nโ€™dia Battle said. โ€œIt also gives other students who are not a part of those cultural groups to learn more about the culture and also have fun and enjoy different various cultural foods. It’s a good time.โ€

Battle created a powerpoint with a variety of questions about Indigenous culture and history, and also included different questions that involved music and different musical artists of Indigenous descent.ย 

โ€œItโ€™s good for there to be this space on campus and for the CCEI to be able to offer this opportunity, even though we’re a small crew in attendance, I think it’s still important that we offer that to students,โ€ Programming Intern and first-year Reece Cartee said.

Battle said the CCEI has already done Arab-American Trivia, Latine Trivia, AAPI trivia, LGBTQ+ Trivia, and BIPOC Trivia.

โ€œI definitely grew with everything. I didn’t know they were happening until recently. It’s been fun to be involved with it. Then, of course, there’s always great prizes to win that are connected to the theme,โ€ event attendee and first-year Jackson Hicks said.ย 

Hicks said the event was full of cultural dishes that conveyed the cultures that were celebrated, and helped students immerse themselves in the event.

โ€œMy takeaway that I would want people to learn from this is that this is a safe space for you to learn more about other cultures, free of judgment, and just a way to also have fun while simultaneously learning,โ€ Battle said.

Battle said she takes the time to ask questions and assure students that at the beginning, they may come into the event not knowing anything about the cultures but they will leave learning something new whether it be a person, place, thing, or music.

โ€œThis is a safe space. We’re all just trying to learn more and also have fun while doing it. Like he said, we want it to be more competitive,” Battle said. “I think once we get a larger audience, that will make it more competitive and then encourage other people to come that may be too scared to venture out of their dorms. I think it’s also especially good for a freshman to make friends.โ€ย