Monte Carlo Preview

Alex Steinhauer, Reporter

Monte Carlo is just around the corner. The dance for undergraduates will be held Friday Oct. 11 at The Vineyards in Simi Valley. The event was planned by Alyssa Frausto, Associated Students of California Lutheran University Programs Board Junior Representative. Even though this is an annual event at Cal Lutheran, there will be some changes for this yearโ€™s homecoming dance.

One change will involve the music, which Frausto said in previous years has been provided by Vox Enterprising.

โ€œI was able to work with someone that works ICLU Radio and get in touch with DJ Spencer from 103.3 The Vibe,โ€ Frausto said.ย 

ASCLU Programs Board Director Chelsea Dunmire said students have reported wanting more diverse music at Monte Carlo.ย 

โ€œThat is why we went with a well-known DJ from a radio station who is aware of what students have requested, as well as being able to request songs,โ€ Dunmire said.

There will also be casino games where students can win raffles this year.ย 

โ€œAs always, it is a tradition, there is going to be the casino tables… instead of getting chips you get raffle tickets so you can enter the raffle and keep the raffle prizes,โ€ Frausto said.ย 

Frausto said in previous years there has not been as much food as people have wanted.ย 

โ€œWe usually get complaints that we donโ€™t have enough food at Monte Carlo, but this year we got a lot of appetizers,โ€ Frausto said.ย 

Frausto wants to make sure the event runs smoothly.ย 

โ€œI actually just went in and did a full tour of the venue on Tuesday just to make sure that everything is set well, they know where to place things, where I want the food to go,โ€ Frausto said.ย 

The Conejo Photobooth will be returning this year for students to take photos with.ย 

โ€œWeโ€™re still using Conejo Photobooth, we love working with them. They are very reliable with the school,โ€ Frausto said.

There will be additional features to the venue providing more activities for students.

โ€œIn the previous year that we did use this venue we didnโ€™t use the outside patio, which I thought was not good on our part because it is such a big area, and they have cornhole over there and there is gonna be a photobooth out there and kind of a place to hang too,โ€ Frausto said.

Students who have questions about the event can stop by The Spine on Tuesday Oct. 8 and Thursday Oct. 10 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.ย 

โ€œNext week we will be tabling on The Spine and we will be giving out candy, and we have FAQโ€™s up there so if you have questions then stop by the table,โ€ Frausto said.ย 

The venue has been used by Cal Lutheran for Monte Carlo before.

โ€œIt is the venue that we used in 2017 but people loved it,โ€ Frausto said.ย 

Deana Cobey is a worker at The Vineyards of Simi Valley. She hopes Cal Lutheran students will have fun at The Vineyards.

โ€œI think what makes us unique is that we are family owned and operated and they really take care of everybody. Always putting in new things and keeping the venue beautiful. They care about your event as if it were their own,โ€ Cobey said.

Frausto said between 1,000 and 1,100 students have attended Monte Carlo in past years, but now it is up to 1,400 students.

โ€œIโ€™m really looking forward to Monte Carlo,โ€ said Kristina McGee, a student worker at the Student Life office.

Even if students do not attend Monte Carlo, their student fees are still the being used to finance the event.

โ€œOur budget for Monte Carlo is $30,000. However, students do not need to pay for a ticket,โ€ Dunmire said. โ€œMost of our set-up will consist of making sure check-in goes as efficiently as possible and that the security we hired are where they need to be to ensure safety for all students.โ€ย 

Dunmire said she further hopes this will be an opportunity for students to have a good time and break away from the stress of college.