Transferology, ‘a quick source’ for transfer students

Christian Davis, Reporter

Transferring from a community college to a four-year institution can be stressful, as students have to determine which credits will be applicable at the new institution. This year, California Lutheran University announced they will be adopting a new app–Transferology–in aim to alleviate some of that stress.ย ย 

According to David Rowe, the associate director of Transfer Admissions, Cal Lutheran sees an average of 300 transfer students between fall and spring entry points.ย Rowe said the top question on these transfer studentsโ€™ minds is โ€œhow will my credits transfer?โ€ย 

According to the Transferology website, the โ€œgoal is to save students time and money by providing a quick, intuitive way of getting their college transfer credits questions answered.”

The app will show students how many schools in the Transferology network have matching courses that will count for credit when they transfer. This app is especially helpful for students with credits from multiple institutions, Rowe said.ย 

Students who attempt to navigate the transfer process on their own often end up with more confusion and questions.

โ€œOften students have to navigate multiple pages on a website to know whether a single course they took at another college will transfer to Cal Lutheran,” Matt Ward, vice president for Enrollment Management and Marketing said in an email interview. “It can be a frustrating, time-intensive process for transfer students.”

Not only can this process be frustrating, but it may lead students into taking classes they donโ€™t need, or not taking the correct classes that fulfill their major requirements at Cal Lutheran.

โ€œStudents want a quick source to help guide their planning and decision making about transferring credits from other institutions to Cal Lutheran,โ€ Ward said.

The Transferology app is one initiative Cal Lutheran is taking to become a transfer-friendly institution.

Cal Lutheran has also received a grant from the Hispanic-Serving Institutions Title V program which will include the launch of a new Transfer Center located in Alumni Hall this winter, Ward said.ย 

โ€œWe hope this is just another step in the right direction to most equitably serve our students and provide them with the resources needed for success in higher education,โ€ Rowe said.ย 

Students considering transferring to Cal Lutheran can go to the undergraduate admissions page on Cal Lutheran’s website to find a link to the Transferology app.