Residence Life plans to double residential student capacity in the fall

Students+enjoy+takeout+in+front+of+Thompson+and+Pederson%2C+some+of+the+first-year+residence+halls+at+Cal+Lutheran.+

Photo by Isabella Breda - Editor in Chief

Students enjoy takeout in front of Thompson and Pederson, some of the first-year residence halls at Cal Lutheran.

Alijah Hernandez, Reporter

California Lutheran University Residence Life aims to have 1,200 students living on campus in the fall 2021 semester.

Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct Chris Paul said in an email interview that this increase in students will come alongside the continued provision ofย isolation and quarantine space. The current isolation and quarantine halls are the Old West complex and some university houses.ย 

In fall 2019, 1,494 students lived on campus, but in fall 2020, only 300 students returned to live in the residence halls. Currently, 620 students live on campus.

Paul said Residence Life will continue to follow the COVID-19 health and safety guidelines from the county, state and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

โ€œWe are making great progress with this pandemic and I feel very strongly that the policies we have put in place such as the guest policy, physical distancing, and mask wearing has prevented the spread of this virus of the last 13 months on this campus,โ€ Paul said.

Rama Youssef, a third-year Residential Assistant (RA) for Kramer Court, said in a phone interview that she wasnโ€™t worried about returning to live on campus because she felt Cal Lutheran was taking necessary precautions for students living on campus.

โ€œI think weโ€™re taking heavy precautions. Most of the RAs are vaccinatedโ€ฆ I donโ€™t really have any concerns about living on campus. I do feel safe,โ€ Youssef said.

Paul said the Facilities department has been amazing and diligent in cleaning all the common spaces and high-touch surfaces. In aim to ensure cleanliness, theyโ€™ve also added cleaning products to each suite to encourage residents to clean their rooms more frequently.

Youssef said the only thing lacking from campus is the social life, which canโ€™t return to normal until COVID-19 is no longer a risk.

Paul also said they are looking forward to having a more lively campus in the fall.

โ€œWe are excited to welcome back students who might have been away all year or even sophomores who have never stepped foot in one of the residence halls,โ€ Paul said.